morning sing song 6 exercise

does anyone here work somewhere you got to sing a crappy company/school song in the morning or do the unbelievably dasai exercise thing??

i used to work in a school and all the teachers sang the first verse of the school ditty every morning. it was way beyond naff.

anyone else with any cho-naff stories....tell us about it

Place I used to work had the standard ex-sergeant major matey with the piano at 8:30 and then some tinkly lady with a romantic little melody at 10 am and 3 pm. A few eccentrics would get up and do those absurd stretches, but most people tried to ignore it. Occasionally the Health and Welfare people would come around with armbands on, and call out with strained bonhomie "Taiso shimasho!" whereupon everyone but the gaijin would jump up and do it like the patrol had submachine guns.

This, and not the dire state of the company's finances, seemed to have the very highest priority.

The only time I've had to do the taiso was at a public swimming pool in Kawanishi where everyone gets kicked out of the pool at 10 to the hour and they play the normal one you get on NHK. It's a bit strange for people already doing exercise to have to stop and do stretches.

IIIII Did your school song just happen to start with "By the ocean's edge" or "At the foot of the mountain" by any chance?

I think the rajo taiso at the pool is to give everybody time for a soothing smoke, and to distract attention from the activities of the man with the pH tester and bucket of fresh chemicals.

At one school I worked at, they played an orchestral version of 'Begin the Beguine' some mornings at opening time. It was a really good thing - certainly put a spring in my step.

I've never had the pleasure of experiencing anything like that.

The most amusing I get is the boss standing up for the morning meeting every morning at 8:30.

He proceeds to tell us what day and date it is (including the YEAR!), as well as the time (even though it's the same time every morning when he tells us). He seems to think it's a reasonable thing to do, and we are all all the better for being reminded.

rolleyes.gif

Don't you just love that

When I was at a school, we had the same deal and had to sing the school song (this is just the teachers in the teachers room - no kids around) once a week. It drove me mad.

Went to Nankai artificial beach yesterday which I would say is worth a visit, though maybe not in weekends if you can't make it to the real thing from Osaka. Anyway they were playing the ex seargent major ditty ocean 11 mentioned. I go to another pool usually and they do the same thing. I'm sure it's purpose is to periodically clear the pool so the lifeguards can see if anyone has drowned. I always enjoy the spectacle & the music reminds me of the crappy folk dancing we used to do at primary school.

I drive past a construction company building most mornings just when they are doing their "radio broadcast" exercises. They seriously look like a bunch of plebs.

We dont have to do that crap in my school (I'd miss it anyway as I always show up late).

I have noticed however that in the local Kappa Sushi (100yen dire family sushi place) the staff all line up in the morning and do stuff like bowing to the empty room etc.

They look like serious freaky psychos.

What is the point in having life guards if you have to get everyone out of the pool to see if someone has drowned? Bit late isn't it....

You've gotta chuckle at those exercises and songs and stuff though don't you think? They look like morons to us, but I wonder what they actually think of them?

Do they think "This is moronic and I look real stoopid", or do they think "This is a great bonding session and a wonderful way to start the day both for my body and mind"?

I wonder.

oblivion, that's really funny about the date.

Where I used to work, they had little meetings right before lunch to introduce new staff members. 'Course everybody had their mind on lunch. But the bucho would always start by carefully noting the date of the appointment. "(Loud phlegm-clearing noise) Ah, as of Heiseiwhocares, 3rd July..."

With an attention span of exactly 2 seconds at that time of day, all I remembered about these anyway characterless people was the sound of noisy expectoration and the date of their appointment. In no case did I ever remember their name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you see the radio exercises in public over summer holiday. Usually at 630 if you go to town area, maybe near station or town office , you can see people practice exercise with redio song. It might be really funny for you.

My sense of humour usually comes online at around 8:30. Nothing is funny at 6:30.

At my mother-in-law's place, they have 'rajo taiso' over the loudspeakers from 6:00. The sound bounces off the mountains at different rates and comes back sounding like exercise routines from hell. It's also very good exercise for the farm dogs who bark and howl like crazy. Sleep is impossible, and there isn't much humour to go around, I can tell you.

• 2 weeks later...