anybody know why nikuman disappears from convenience stores in the summer time???

I love those things...

just noticed they are making their way back...summer must be over soon, right???

danz

Did you not see the nikuwoman in the stores over summer Danz?

In an effort to respect the equality of the sexes the nikuman get the winter and the nikuwoman get the summer! biggrin.gif

So that's the secret that the Kano sisters keep going on about ... nikuman! (without the brain I suspect, but probably fairly delicious when you get yer face in.)

I always enjoy the stench of 24/7 oden with surface dust contamination that's a feature of every combini in the winter. Mmm, tempting.

I'm not so into the dough of conbini nikuman. The dough on the ones you get from a Chinese place is usually a lot chewier and has some taste to it. I used to get the ones at Mr. Donuts sometimes when I was in a hurry, but I heard a while ago that the chain had been caught for using a non-permitted additive in millions of them. Either way, they're a bit more authentic than the conbini ones.

Some Japanese people go on and on about "shouronpo", mini nikuman with a light broth inside them, but I can't say I was impressed, even by the ones I had at the place the Japanese guidebook recommended in Shanghai. I can understand people having a thing for yakigyoza, but shouronpo didn't quite cut it. However, it was well entertaining to go to a restaurant full of Chinese locals. Instead of queuing outside, expectant customers stand by the table they think will empty first and then give the diners there the evil eye, no doubt with the Chinese equivalent of "KAERE...KAERE..!" going through their minds. It's funny to watch their faces when another huge stack of steamer trays arrives at the table.

The things we do for our friends...

nikuman_b.jpg

If you visit this site, you can also steal their attractive pink nikuman background for your desktop.

And for comparison, here's kinnikuman.

mantaro.gif

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 24 August 2002).]

This thread reminded me that I should really eat more nikuman, ankoman, and pizzaman as I quite like them. As I don't roam around late at night in the vicinity of combinis with the munchies so much as I used to, there isn't much call to eat them. Ones with liquid substances inside sound pretty bad though.

mort, until you've seen one for real, you can't really appreciate the appeal I fear. They have a kind of glaze on the outside that makes them gleam inside their steamy little glass cabinet, but when you bite into them, the dough is fluffy and sticky at the same time. Remarkable really...

As for anime and manga, they're alright. I wish my son would watch more of them than the crap like Ultraman and Gau Ranger that he likes - the storylines of many anime can be very creative. I've never seen an actual kinnikuman show - but like a nikuman in it's steamer, I absorb the cultural atmosphere around me with the capacity of a sponge. Do you like that sort of thing brit-gob? (Ten-Ten-Kun was great!)

• 2 weeks later...

They have a spicy tomato / meat filling that tastes a bit like pizza.

I had a similar thing once with shrimp - I ate a pizza with giant shrimps on it when I was in such a state of drunkeness that I shouldn't have considered putting anything else in my system. Needless to say, it all came back up, tasting of regurgitated shrimp. These flavour memories stay with you, and eating shrimp is never an unalloyed pleasure anymore.

They hibernate! It is quite obvious isn't it!

Bears are summer animals and so hibernate in the winter. Turtles; same again.

Nikuman are winter animals and therefore they hibernate in the summer to ensure they are at there best flavour come winter for all of us to enjoy!

Hail the nikuman!

[This message has been edited by mogski (edited 05 September 2002).]

Probably as with so many other things in this great country that have no rhyme or reason, there is no answer. This is gonna go down in gaijin lore as one of Japans greatest mysteries. Where do those wonderful little things go in the summer?

Nikuman are so good after a sweet day on the mountain before heading to an onsen.... damn, its still hot as hell down here!!! Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh