I often try to bring back some local cheeses back from my cheesehunting trips for my colleagues. They're always pleased as punch to get some nutritious food sticks/wedges/(or other shapes) as a present. Happy because it's delicios, nutritious, and fun too! Communcal cheese eating certainly is something that brings people together.

I find myself buying many more presents here in Japan than I would back home, but it's fine - a part of the culture and actually something I have grown to enjoy. It doesn't seem like something that 'should be done' anymore, more something that I want to do.

I think sometimes places like Canada and America should adopt some of these uniqely different ideas. Back home friends and co-workers usually don't do this custom and I think it would be a great thing to do. Japanese are some of the kindest people I've ever met, they give till it hurts. It also always puts a smile on your face! \:\)

If you don't like a tradition then you don't have to do it. Just don't make fun of it cuz I'm sure we all have a custom back home that wouldn't be done here. If you live in a country that isn't your native land then we should all try to work together and comly with such customs. Why be stubborn about it, it's cool and tasty!

My .02 cents worth,

Nigelman

At the risk of personal embarasment I will not go into detail about this experience but I have first hand experience that Japanese "do not" remember you for your character, morals etc..,

I can't go into it but I found myself farrrr out on a limb last year when friends?? turned their backs on me even though they "are" good people and we had a fantastic and amazing friendship -till that point anyways... I was stunned and amazed by their attitude when I transgressed something they felt wasn't to their liking.. they did not take into account my previous good deeds or my own culturural experiences... And to any westerners it would not be a bad thing at all - quite normal in fact...

Regardless...I learned a very long time ago that:

"It is human nature for people to remember you for your shortcomings - Not your accomplishments"

My .02

BTW - I like Omiage... I find I seem to recieve more than I give most of the time...

PS: I don't mean to suggest that Omiage would have circumnavigated these events in my life..

Just that the idea of patronage isn't always an easy one...

But I still want some of those buttery liitle cake things that Ocean11 keeps ranting about.... ummmmmm little buttery cake thingys, ummmmmmmmmmmm......

They were goooood.

Actually, matey with the dainties and the well-tied laces was a kacho then, but now he's a bucho.

Just goes to show, I reckon...

Higuma, did you happen to walk out of one of those squattums toilets still wearing the toilet slippers and trample shit into the tatami, with a length of wet bog paper hanging out the back of your trousers? Was that what caused your J friends to turn against you? :rolleyes: