I use it a lot, however the cost of shipping always out weighs the saving made from buying online. I only buy books.

They have a great second hand service and I pick up heaps of books at usd3 rather than new at usd15.

yes...especially when I was back in the states...but like debee said, shipping to japan can be a bit much...

which brings me to another question (or maybe I'm just whinning)...why is plastic so uncommon here?? back home I would carry $20 and my debit card...and almost never had problems...here, I freak if I don't have a few man in my pocket...especially outside of tokyo! ATM's : 9:5

and credit?? forget about it...

danz

The whole lectronic banking thing is my biggest whinge. It has taken me along time to adjust to always making sure I have cash on me.

Amazon is great. You can do some pretty good research into what is available on a given topic, by way of books. Often I would do this then scoot up to the bookstore and buy it. The reviews are very good as well.

I don't have a leccy diccy either...but thought about getting one...but how would it help you translate a website?? If there is a kanjii that you don't know, you can't sound it phoenetically, don't know its meaning, how do you look it up??

I don't think you can just point it at the screen and have it translate, although I wouldn't be suprised if you can buy some that do....

anyway, my little trick is to open the english site and japanese site....design is not so different, so you can make educated guesses...

the search field is the easiest way to go...engrish ok!

danz

danz - another thread had some tips on this. It appears that we need to learn a few kanji 'codes' (characters). I can read the kana's no problems at all, but all I know in Kanji is kawa, 'cause its easy and also written everywhere there is a river!

I notice that if you look real hard at a few kanji characters you can sometimes find a katakana symbol hiden in the jumble of lines. Me hopes this will make learning kanji easier!

danz, there's nothing easy about it. You have to learn how to count the strokes in a kanji (that's the easy bit). Then you use the stroke count to find the kanji. Then you look up the word.

If you get good at, eventually you'll be able to read the whole site without using the dictionary once, then you'll be able to move to Nagano and become a freelance translator.

I find amazon.co.jp to be a bit slow at sending out. I pre-ordered something, and then on the day it got released the message turned into "available in 2-3 weeks". Cancelled the order and went to a local shop and bought it there and then. Not impressed. That may just be my unlucky experience...anyone think good of amazon.jp?