Found this at Newsweek. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Why is Washington leading the world toward war in the Middle East, where Saddam is appearing to allow weapons inspectors free rein, while playing down the threat from the already armed and uncooperative Kim?

If nuclear, biological and chemical weapons are the greatest threats facing mankind—and Bush “will not wait on events while dangers gather,” as he declared a year ago—why now send a new message that North Korea can wait?

here we go...

granted, the bush admin. has made a few diplomatic blunders with N.Korea, but the basic idea is right; N.Korea and Iraq can NOT be dealt with in the same way.

1)N.Korea already has the bomb

Iraq does not...that is a big deal

2)N. Korea has a history of trying to "blackmail" the world with its nuclear threat in order to get much needed supplies (energy, food, whatever...); now is not that much different

3)If Iraq were to attain nuclear capability, the threat posed to the world would be a serious one...not to mention the ridiculoug consequences in the middle east...Israel would not stand for a nuclear Iraq, and that could spell trouble...now is the time to intervene, before they get there...like Israel did in '84...

4) I think N.Korea will eventually buckle if internatioal diplomatic pressure is applied...this does not require the same effort/resources as a military threat, like in Iraq...

5) not that this justifies any of the above statements, but there is no way the us could afford a military operation on 3 fronts (Iraq, N.Korea, Afghanistan (we are still there!!))...

well...just some thoughts at least...I am no expert, and personally, I am a bit worried about N.Korea, but I do have a bit of faith in GW's admin...

let the flames begin

danz

Can't help thinking that story would be diff with N. Korea if they had oil.

I slightly agree with danz arguements as to the different approaches, but I think before any of these the answer to the diff treatment is they don't got what the US wants and Iraq does.

Like little kids in the sand pit. You got the biggest Tonka toy and all of a sudden every bugger wants it!

ski for peace

or

peace in powder

I've always firmly believed that skiing and powder is the perfect rememdy from every possible problem imaginable...just get tha kim dude, sadam, and gw on the slopes together, and I'm sure everything would be fixed!

danz