OK, since I have been in Japan I have put up with a lot of unwanted attention - people looking at me even when I'm doing nothing, just because of my skin color. Always standing out, making me more self-conscious.

I've seen more of it in the last year or so, since the terrorist thing happened. Me coming from India maybe makes me look typecast in a whole new way.

But I was wondering all you other foreigners thoughts on being constantly stared at and standing out in crowds.

i think it's kinda funny when little kids stare and point at you. i always wonder what they are saying/thinking. is it like- hey look at that weirdo, or cool it's someone different. i feel like now i stare at gaijin i don't know. it's really strange to go to tokyo and see so many (well compared to nagano).

i noticed a lot when i was fresh, but not so much now. i reckon most freshies put out a vibe which is of some interest to the locals. but this dies with age... combined with the fact some attention kinda becomes normal.

i say hello to the younguns, and their mums always encourage them to say herro back ;\)

At my height - personally I don't think myself that big - I get stared at whereever I go so I have become numb to it all.

Although the burn-through-steel type constant stare stills gets me. Faced with these type of stares I find myself often checking to see if there is a boger hanging out my nose or some other blemish of my appearance that could be the result of this.

I get looked at, but have come to not notice it anymore. My GF gets stared at all the time as she looks so different to Japanese women. If opportunity permits (eg sitting on a train) she now stares at the japanese persons shoes, whilst making an 'oh my god' expression. This seems to make them very uncomfortable and they stop looking her way pretty fast. I have tried it and it seems to work.

I think the vibe theory is very plausible. Or it could be an olfactory thing - maybe newbies smell of butter (or ghee). If you get stared at a lot, try eating more natto and seaweed.

I find that with my somewhat Japanese diet and the fact that the Japanese are too busy manipulating their mobile phones, I don't get stared at much any more.

Being accused of being American used to annoy me intensely, but now I find it quite funny.

I've gotten used to it...but sometimes it gets on my nerves...especially when its that middle aged dude driving his toyota crown and trying to do something stupid and dangerous involving my car... mad.gif

sometimes I get a kick out of it...I feel like an alien or something...that's cool!

danz