I got turned away from a love hotel once because I was gaijin!!!! I had had a massive arguement with the hand with the key and they eventually relented and let us in.

Also got turned away from a resturant in ochanomizu a few months ago. And I was all dressed up and with suits even.

I just figure its their loss and that karma will get them in the end

I can just about understand the rationale behind not letting foreigners live in your house, cooking their greasy smelly foreign food and walking all over the tatami with their toilet slippers on, and hanging their dartboard in the tokonoma; and I can see that having foreigners shagging your Thai whores and giving the poor girls AIDS and what-not really won't do; but not letting them into your restaurant for two hours when they've gone to the trouble of associating with people in suits is really just a bit much.

(How many chuhais had you had before you darkened their door zwelgen?) ;\)

I also love how in Japan all foreigners have to have one of those "gaikokujin toroko shomeisho", which the Japanese authorities translate to "Alien Registration Card". Where does the "alien" part of it come from? Dont they know that in English the word "alien" means "someone or something from outer space"... for them though I suppose that is what any country apart from japan is, "outer space". I also remember friends who were in Japan before me having their fingerprints taken for their "alien cards"! What a joke. I can also recall a sign at Narita Airport where the word "alien" was used to mean "foreigners" or "non-Japanese"! Nuts.

Alien is generally used at an official level in English speaking countries to refer to non-nationals. (and, of course, being as there is (officially) no knowledge of extra-terrestrial life forms, confusion is kept to a minimum).

What seems more 'impolite' gaijin or alien?

Reckon Japan and the west have a pretty fair deal regarding perceived insults to non-nationals... ;\)

So that's not just a Japan thing. And anyway, their use of the work "alien" is a translation, unlike its usage in other English speaking countries.

Taking affirmative action is an option. Crying and slamming doors are possibilities too. What about starting a group called " Be aware of the Gaijin or Beware!!! Tickles first and Slaps later!Everyones a winner babe, that's the truth(who wants to sing along?)! \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
Alien is generally used at an official level in English speaking countries to refer to non-nationals. (and, of course, being as there is (officially) no knowledge of extra-terrestrial life forms, confusion is kept to a minimum).
LOL! Seemed obvious to me too Yak. Not in Australia I guess eh woywoy \:D

In NZ I have NEVER heard the word alien except for extraterrestrial beings or something in concentration camps. We usually say immigrants, visitors, tourists, students, overseas workers, and I guess now we have terrorists...

I sometimes feel that the gaijin card opens up some places for you - places I wouldn't get to go to if I weren't the gaijing of the town. Like the mayors house, private tour of the local brewery, etc.

• 3 months later...

I wasn't allowed in a bar last night in Shinjuku, they said no gaijin. So we all went somewhere else after throwing some suitable insults around. It was near Kabukicho, I'll have to ask my Japanese friends the name of the place.