'Playing the nihonjin' gaijin on TV

Do you like them or hate them?

They drive me nuts.

You know, the ones who speak and act with all the mannerisms of Japanese, but look complete nobs in the process.... (can't think of any specific names.

There seem to be 2 types from what I see;

- the real gaijin who acts 'like a gaijin' is supposed to;

- the gaijin who behave and totally try to fit in with the Japanese

They are both annoying to me!

To add a different perspective to this...

"What happens if the GAIJIN child grew up here in Japan and that "kind of behaviour" is what he/she knows as normal?"

seems pretty unfair to dis on them in that case.

They bug us but Im guessing they are making a wad of money and have a pretty sweet life. And most people know a culture-vulture or 2 in Japan that enjoy being the nihonjin gaijin. Whatever makes you happy I guess, esp when less than 1% of the people watching tv are gaijin anyway.

Well I see where you're coming from about the ppl who grew up here, but I think most of the foreigners on tv, if not all of them, weren't born here. Theres no real reason why I should dislike any of them.... there's just something about them that really annoys me... Especially that dude with the really bad slicked back bleached hair.

btw- Bobby is hysterical! I met one of those guys once (Eric - the dude with the afro). Super nice guy.

I guess the people who grew here thing is on my mind now as i am about to become a daddy (about 6 weeks) to a child which will be half Japanese and half Oz! Hopefully they wont be here long enough to become like "that" and if they do i guess its going to be my fault!

That Thane Camus guy went to Japanese elementary school. He's been here since he was six. I couldn't give two hoots about him as a person, but I wouldn't be too quick to describe his behaviour as fake or affected. In fact, he's probably less guilty of bluffing than the others.

On the whole, I don't think you should expect too much from celebrities. They're only there to provide some mild diversion for the general public.

sorry total tangent here,

hey indosnm, let me be the 2nd person on this thread to congrats u on ya kid. u're kinda at a point where i might be soon. She wants a kid soon altho i want the kid in a few years. keep us posted on how it goes. i wanna know how it feels like to have another "you" in the world.

\:\)

It's not 'another you' in the world. Even cloning doesn't produce 'another you'. It's a completely different person, that has different ideas about the way things should be, right from day one. Sorry to be the one to break that to you, but I suspect you knew already.

I couldn't help noticing going back to England for the first time since my boy was born how much more mature most English kids of his age are.

I always thought that guy was called 'Sane'. Shame he doesn't have a name that carries over into Japanese a bit more gracefully.

More thread hijacking, but from the katakana, I thought the big-footed swimmer was called "Ian Soap". \:D

Thankfully I noticed before I came out with some crappy "soap and water" gag at work.

I have a friend that is half Japanese and half American. He lived in Japan until he was 16 or so and then moved to America. He grew up in Roppongi and, interestingly enough, completely shunned the Japanese way of life. Kept friends with mainly gaijin, did his best to speak only English, etc.

Funny I actually met him in a Japanese class (but I am pretty sure he was only taking it for the easy credits).