English teachers - job satisfaction? good work?

i got no beef with my work, i hardly ever go, get paid a heap, and when i am there, i wouldnt really consider it working. my problem is holidays. i need lots, otherwise i get all grumpy. there r too many things to do in the world. worrying about getting time to do it gives me the sh1ts. so ill put up with it a bit more then quit get to the 'life' time i really need.

but its a great in betweener here.

Well as an (happy and satisfied) AET, I get the not so heapish sounding 300000, but that is good for where I live. I can still save quite a lot each month (well, less in winter maybe)

Teaching in a conversation school was a good introduction to Japan. Many older students made it their goal to teach me about Japanese things and I learned a lot from them.

High-school was also fun sometimes.

But the way you're expected teach is often completely absurd, and the people in charge generally have no clue. The performance aspect of teaching can be exhausting too, especially in the middle of summer.

Quote:
In terms of salary, paid a heap is all very relative isn't it?
Oz dude u r right to note i was speaking relatively.
i most certainly dont get heaps of cash. still tryin to get by and save to account for the non work time and re establishment costs of moving country again.
i worked in a 'profession' back home working sh1tty hours at a sh1tty job, but i get an hourly wage here that beats it. so it be true for sure that my heaps are teaspoons to others, but its relative to your goals...i make just enough to get a visa \:\( . i'd kinda like to live the high life, but it wouldnt really suit me. id quit as soon as i had a little moolah in the bank and wouldnt get far. i dread resposibility and age. its gonna hurt.

Bang on there Davo, bang on. Teaching English is a bit of subterfuge (1. Noun - Something intended to misrepresent the true nature of an activity) for many Chain schools. All they really want is money, its all about sales, ripping people off for huge amounts of money and as a token gesture sending some unqualified native speakers to speak to them, Speak not teach. I have seen some complete dickheads "speaking to students" they couldnt teach their grandma to suck eggs.

The patronising progress reports Davo mentioned mean little and as far as caring for the students needs......get this certain places have level up quotas that have to be met, Screw student ability. Leveled up students = happy students = students who buy more tickets.

5% may seem little but in a 400 student school thats 20 students who have to go up every month! every month. They dont care about progress they care about money

dollareyes.gif

Working for one of the big schools for whatever reason is frustrating, for these reasons, for the reasons Barok listed and more, especially when you personally care for the students progress and the clowns around you and the company dont

I find that alot of people that dont teach in Japan tend to look down on those that do, as if they are "just another sensei". YES, its not hard to be a teacher here and anyone can do it, but i often have to have a chuckle to myself when those with supposedly "superior" jobs often think that they have the better deal....

to be making up to or more than 1,000,000 a month for working less than 20hrs a week (all evenings) and getting 10 weeks holiday a year.. who gets the better deal then? the guy who sits in the office for 40-50hrs (for half the pay) a week and actually does 10hrs worth, has to share any "snack" that they want to eat, and having to put up with all the other crap that goes with the office...

• 2 weeks later...

I am no teacher...

I do not look down on teachers either...in fact, I am envious at times...

as for salary, a first year JET makes more than a Japanese engineer just out of college (and that is not counting the added little perks jet gets)...that gets on my nerves just a bit, seing the requirements for becoming a jet...

I have a master's degree in engineering, and am in my 3rd year at the same company...my gf is an english teacher in Tokyo in her 2nd year...she makes the same salary as me, has way more freetime (even with her private lessons), and more vacation time. not to mention her apt. is part of the deal...

needless to say, I have been re-evaluating my current job...

danz

How does that work out?

5 kids per day at 9,000 per head for a 2 hour lesson, or some similar permutation?

10 kids at 4,500 for a 1 hour lesson?

How many years do you have to be at the game to get it so sweet? Is that central Nagoya rates or suburbs, or inaka? (10 years ago in Osaka, 12,000 yen an hour was the going rate. In Suwa now, it's about 3,000 yen an hour.)

If anybody wants to share some info on making a load of money and getting snowboarding time too, mail me. ;\) I'm working a 4 day week at the moment, and it's not too bad.

I have been lucky.. When I moved back to Japan I wanted to get away from the teaching gig as I was burnt with it after working for big school for 2.5 years.

But as I moved into my new place (where there are no schools, and will remain a secret!) people basically knocked on my door asking me to teach their kids! not one to turn a dollar away I caved and now its working well.

On a sadder note, my 10 hr weeks are almost over! from next week will be bumping up to about 13 or 14!

as for snowboarding time ocean my job sucks! coz i have to be home for just 2 rank hours! If I could do it all in 2 days and have the rest off i would but its hard to get mum's to pull their kids out of school to bring to english class! ( though they'd probably learn more!)

• 2 weeks later...