War effort - what do you reckon?

I give Al-Jazeera a 9 for effort, guts, and being a mainstay of democratic values.

Anything that makes Blair horrified when confronted at what he's done and lets the cat out of the bag about 'hitech' war is fine with me.

i like to give my ratings in thumbs.

and i would give the war effort two very enthusiastic thumbs down for everyone in the world that sees it as an invasion not a liberation. by my calculations thats a resounding thumb downathon.

V-I-E-T-N-A-M

More Brits killed by Americans or by each other than by Iraqis so far. Nice shooting.

This was so obviously a disaster from almost any angle before it started - and yet, it started! I feel more shame about being British with every passing day...

Interesting question that one.

When Britain does well at something, I don't feel any particular pride, as it's not me that's done it.

However when Britain does bad things it's different. As a citizen of a democratic nation, I have a certain responsibility. Very limited certainly, but by voting and by communicating with my representatives, I can have a slight effect. If my country starts doing grotesque things on the international stage, I feel shame at having been unable to prevent it. Also, in as much as I'm a participant in the history and culture of my country, and feel an admiration for many of its achievements, I feel a sense of shame that in spite of all that Britain can still go and invade another country for no very good reason and kill a lot of innocent people, and disrupt the lives of a great many more.

It's nothing particularly deep, but when I read the news I feel very uneasy that it's my country involved and that there's not much more I can do...

In this case war was wrong. YOu cannot wage war to stop wmds and be the biggest producer of wmds.

PS war is not a game to be scored your life, soliders and cilvians are not points. Each life lost is something of a failure on... well our part as a world or whole.