OK I'm getting a car and it seems the shaken on it will cost something like 140000 yen. I've heard stories about shaken, none that have explained to me in any clear way just why is it so expensive?

Is it just a big scam, like I feel it may well be?

Wow! 140000 yen seems like a lot. The shaken on the car shouldn't run you more than 100 000 yen unless there are some repairs that have to be done. If you haven't already settled on a car it is best to find one withe the skaken already on it, even if you have to pay a bit more. I bought my car for 150 0000 yen and it had shaken on it for a year and half (Almost over now). If you look for a car with some scratches on it or maybe a dent in the door you can usually get it pretty cheap. Usually when people shaken there car it is for two years.

Another thing to consider is the yearly tax. I forget what it is called but it is different than shaken. On a K-car it is about 5000 yen but on a regular car it can be over 30 000 yen. This is one reason why K-cars are so popular in Japan. Mind you they suck for going skiing.

Chris.

> If you look for a car with some scratches on it or maybe a dent in the door you can usually get it pretty cheap.

It's best to look for a car that doesn't have that, and then put some scratches and maybe a dent in the car dealer. That can help to bring the price down.

On my yellow plate 78 year old jimmy I just paid 70000 yen. If I didnt fix a possible rust problem it would have been under 65000. Its best to look around. trust your insurance company they will help you find a good place most of the time. We have had no trouble with ours.

Most of what you pay is insurance and registration costs. I got my car done in December and I had to pay 80,000 upfront for all the stamp duty, insurance, blah blah and then I had to pay about 50,000 for repairs, but about 2 or 3 was just for maintainence stuff that needed to be done. The labour was only 20,000 or so.

Just a word of advice when you do get your shakken done book in early, like a month or so before you want it done so you can get the time you want. Also act like you know stuff about cars. They tried to get me to pay for some extra stuff that I didnt think needed doing until I got a bit stroppy and they decided not to push it.

Also fyi, the garage or whatever does everything they think needs to, then takes the car to the testing centre to see if it passes. Obvioulsy they dont want to go more than once so they will err on the side of caution, ie make you pay more.

My advice is just swallow your pride and pay the 80,000 but be careful about everything over that.

My best mate (japanese) happens to be a car broker/shaken dude! good to have friends like that!

Usually for a car used for personal use car tax is about 38,000 yen a year and goes up depending on engine size.

Shaken at the cheapest places they will tell you that the TAXES cost 8man. and you will have to foot any charges for repairs. of course the taxes are much cheaper than they say otherwise how could they make any dosh?

Usually they will rip you and make you change parts that are not needing a change. This is the whole scam with shaken and how its all tied in to the car dealers so that they can sell a shitload of spare parts!

Scoobs, i would question that 140,000 quote. Get them to show you absolutely everything that they tell you needs replacing. sometimes they will charge you 1man for an oil change.

In my neck of the woods Shaken business has become ferociously competitive. My Hiliux surf (2,700cc) was a spit over 90,000 all up. No repairs were needed. Dealers were(are) the notorious rip off agents. Try to find a good discount shaken chain shop like Yellow Hat, Ratchet Monkey..... Also some licensed gas stands are doing cut price business. Check around. Actually some dealers have also joined the discount band wagon - but you have to check carefully. 140,000 WAS the norm for a medium sized car a few years back. DON'T pay that now though. It's total bullshit. Good luck. \:\)

• 2 weeks later...