Sakura - whats the big deal?

OK, I might get flamed for this (though maybe not) but what IS the big deal with sakura here?

We have much prettier (and MORE) sakura in my hometown (and a few trees in my parents house), but we don't go on and on and on and on and on and on about it (and we don't think that they only exist in our garden either) and I've not seen anything here that is nearly as pretty. And we don't have picnics under them on blue plastic sheets either ;\)

So can someone explain what the big deal is? It just gets a bit tiring every year....

confused.gif

xxx, I think you should go back to wherever you come from! You obviously have had enough of this place, and you'd be far happier with your own cherry blossoms.

Lol.

Yeah, the whole thing is really stupid. It's so overblown, there's nowhere you can go to actually enjoy them without getting trampled, even if they are inferior to the blossoms of all those other countries that, gasp!, have 4 seasons. One spring I'm going to have to organize a huge cherry blossom viewing trip to England - I'll charge the Japanese a vast wad to go, and then I'll charge the English a few quid to come and snigger at the Japanese.

I did think they were pretty. I also scoffed a lot at the fuss that was made and enjoy hearing how other countries get them in volume and better quality. Always like it when teh rug is pulled out from under the Japanese re seasons and the trappings that come with them.

I must say though, I prefer a huge obsession about pink flowers than a huge obsession about some football grand final or annual horse race. Pink flowers are a refreshing change from Australia's seasonal obsessions. Most Australian's would call me gay for saying that.

I don't mind a fuss over pretty flowers, but it does all get rather overblown doesn't it? The another annoying factor is the "you don't have cherry blossoms, do you" non-question that gets thrown out at you (and the answer they don't like never getting listended to)......

After months of grey/brown tree trunks, no leaves and everything a mangy white any colour is heartly welcomed. These blossoms seem to flower a lot earlier than lots of other plants and to me its a kind of celebration that indeed spring is here and warmth is around the corner.

I like the parties too. Maybe its something about living in the stix because everyone knows each other and its just one big party. You just wander, beer in hand to the other parties, they feed and saturate you with liquids, the trees are all lit up and best of all the atmosphere is great. Everyones out of hibernation, ready to have a good time and be happy because its not bitterly freezing anymore.

I think more than the flowers themselves its the atmosphere and the symbol that the cold winter is over.

Call me a panzy but I really love the hanami season. Sure its just an excuse to get drunk but what's wrong with that. Especially coming from Canada where it is forbiden to drink in most public places (I'm not talking about bars)it is very refreshing. There is something about walking through a park filled with different generations getting wasted together. And it is always a lot of fun when you get invited to sit with them. In fact it is probably one of the only times when it is easy to get to know lots of different people. So what if they don't remember you the next day. They don't remember that they were there either.

So for all you winers out there grab some bottles of sake and beer and go enjoy yourselves.

Chris.

Actually, I don't think the sakura compare very well with the 'shinryoku' - the amazing variety of green colours of the new leaves. Nobody goes out and photograhps those with idiotic zeal, but they're often as impressive as blossom, especially on a wet day.