Those aren't the same as the rock-a-billy guys with the crazy hair that dance non stop at the gates of Yoyogo-koen on the weekends right?

I know they aren't but those guys are soooo funny. Completely ridiculous. Anyway, I picture them with loud motorcycles.

dude! dont confuse the stand-up citizens that the 50's rockabilly dudes represent and the mindless hoons who havent sussed out how to use a clutch.

what a glorious day it was when isaw that the sunshine had brought out not only cherry blossoms, but also the cultural enhancement of our rockin friends... and joy of joys, i found in 2003 they had multiplied. the lovely fountain in central sakae now home to two little troops of dancing merriment.

i believe, were it not for these saviours of art, i would have deteriorated into a murderous rampage of genocidal proportions caused by the oppressive nature of my concrete cell. but today i still walk the streets, head held high, criminal of the mind only.

thank you rockin dudes, you've saved another soul this season.

Do those guys have a name? What is their deal? They just really love to dance? The guys I was watching had the absolute worst sound system. Like it was a tape being played on broken walkman through one blown speaker. I could have watched them all day if it wasn't for the horrible screeching and popping audio.

i know of no formal name... i guy i know called them the dancing elvises, which i liked, but they arent really very elvis like.

do the tokyo types bring their own salon equipment down to the show? our boys have a mirror, hair drier, bucket of grease and motorbike around as props to add to the atmosphere.

I didn't notice any props other than the bad stereo. They were all doing the identical arm/hip swaying dance with the most serious looks on their faces. Some of the guys looked really worn out, like it was some kind of dance competition. My Japanese buddy was so embarrassed and kept saying that this was the worst part of Japan I was seeing or something. Quite a riot.

Ocean - these guys got a name?

sounds like u got some second rate rockers in tokyo... maybe the pollution stops em going all day? or just didnt keep up the training in the off season.

our boys have a bad stereo for sure, but they can go all day, serious look, an' nothing more that a dab at the sweat during the crazy japan summer.

our nagoya rockers could take your poxy tokyo rockers any day of the week!

ender - I saw those guys as well, same day that you did. I noticed that one had a bung show which was held together buy packing tape wrapped around the sole and laces. I also noted the stero quality. I decided that they were really poor but love to dance. Probably explains the exhaustion - lack of food.

I'm not gonna get drawn into a "who's city has better rock-a-billy park dancers" battle, man. I have lost too many good friends that way. I've realized it just isn't worth it.

db - my thought too. Is there such thing as Jp-Trash?

Them's fighting words! I was gonna let it slide once...but you just have to keep coming back to it.

I'm gatherin up my Edo Rock-a-Billy Posse and your Rock-a-girly crew will be sorry they ever laid eyes on a black t-shirt, stand up bass, and can of hair grease.