After receiving one months prior notice of today's fire drill, we've just had the 15 minute warning and the 5 minute warning. Gentleman, start your engines.

We're all off to "practice walking down stairs" again.

Is there any bigger waste of time in Japan? Although i have heard there is a smoke box and a display by the local fire station, so there's something to look forward to.

In all seriousness, back in Oz our company took these things very seriously. I work in the mining industry where everyone's sense of safety is trained to always be on high alert. It really upsets me that the whole fire drill exercise in Japan is designed to simply meet the statutory requirements rather than educating anybody about fire prevention or building evacuation.

Most people in our office have no clue where the fire extinguishers are or even the evacuation stairs.....they just follow the sheep.

I could go on but this just annoys me too much....and anyway, its time to put on my silly red hat and white gloves, pick up my packet of biscuits and my bottle of water (really, is there anything more ridiculous?), and walk down the stairs. Bye.

No, but i had a good laugh walking through the "smoke room" which was a plastic tarpaulin filled with the kind of smoke you get at a nightclub. I'm still not quite sure why you need to eperience what smoke is like???

As usual i took too much glee in pointing out to the buchous that none of them even know where the fire extinguishers are in the office and now i've made myself unpopular again. Better than being dead.

They should try mixing some of that smoke with the rather more acrid and inhospitable kind that comes from burning nylon carpet and melted computer equipment. Then practice going downstairs on your hands and knees sucking at the breathable air only found just above the level of the stairs themselves.

(I wanted to try out the jib and rope affair for getting down from the top floor - "That's right bucho, this harness goes around your neck, so, and then we swing you out over the parapet. We'll make sure you stop before you hit the ground. Don't worry if you swing a bit.")

They warned us about ours for a while as well. I forgot and missed it when I was upstairs having a smoke.

When I was in the Army we did NBC training in a gas tent, like Antonio Nightclub, except nasty. We had to remove our gas mask to experience the 'real thing'. I must say I was floored for 30 minutes after that in lung and eyeball pain. Can't remember what the gas was.

CS perhaps? That's the favourite for that game.

We used to have to practice attacks involving running wearing gas masks. I always had the bottom rim of mine balanced on my chin so that I could breath the gas (air in this case) that I find necessary when running. Otherwise I would have surely died.

I resolved that if I was ever required to attack somewhere where there was gas, I'd shoot the bastards from a distance, then amble up slowly.