I find going for a swim in a dai-jokki of a summer night very refreshing. It saves you the endless dicking about pouring Asahi Super Dry into silly little toothbrush glasses too.

S Freak! What do U call Schooners in NSW? Sa is 285ml.

If I pulled a beer from the tap with a 3+cm head on it in OZ I am sure that I would get a smack across the head from the customer!

"would you like chockie spinkles and a spoon with that sir?!"

Yeah, well when you order your dai-jokki, you have to tell them sternly about the size of the head on it. Most places are happy to comply.

(When I first came to Japan, trying to order 'a small head' with my unevolved Japanese caused some deep misunderstandings in izakaya across Osaka. I refused to believe that the technical term 'head' could be adequately covered by 'bubble'.)

I find that a good 'nama' has a creamy consistency all the way though it, even if the head isn't big. Nice enough, but I'd never trade that for the taste of good English beer.

Come on, Ocean, what English beers do you prefer?

I look for any excuse to go and try more new beverages. Don't make me have to dig up the "what's your favorite beer" thread.

My god badmigraine, what a great story! All the better for Castle Eden actually being my favourite English beer of all. It's found in very few pubs, but oddly it used to be available at a bar in Heathrow Airport - maybe still is.

It is a mild, aromatic, multi-faceted beer, creamy but not heavy. It has a lot in common with Boddingtons, but with more sophistication and mystery. Manchester is a great city for beer, and Castle Eden could be found in a few pubs there.

I was going to respond to your question, but wanted some time to brew up a proper posting. Give me time, man.

Definitely off the tap - fo'damn sho!

Asking for less head (on my beer - get your mind out of the gutter) was one of the first things I learned when I was here.

"awa nashi"

Hey Lama, you in Oz for the winter?

Let me ask you something about Australian beer.

I used to take women to a place in Tokyo as a lead-in to getting them drunk and playful.

They had "Coopers" beer from Oz--one green label, one red label. Both were pretty good. I always had one of each before wine or mixers.

What's the rep of Coopers in Oz? Is it a mainstream beer, a local's beer, or what?

Also, what is the "Budweiser" of Oz? Sitting here in Michigan, I'd have to guess either Fosters or Castlemaine.

Cheers from the land of lakes and no mountains!

yeah man.... will be here all winter, may get the odd weekend or 3 riding down here.... makes it a bit hard when you live 750kms from the nearest lift!!! thinking of coming over?

hmm, coopers....never really been able to read the writing on it as it is pretty small, and after 8 or so schooners, makes thing a little hard to read! but will give it a crack..... good drop, generally easy to come buy in all good offies and bars. think there is a bitter and a draft (hence the red and green).... and say that coopers is made in south austalia

woops here we go bad migrain.... was a little off the mark, this will help you out!!

http://www.coopers.com.au/beers/c.htm

that will cover it

yeah its kinda seen as an "enthusiasts" beer, i reckon if you threw a fancy lablel and a higher price on it then you would call it an "premium beer"

budweiser equivilant.... now theres a hardy, depends if you are asking about reputation, easyness to come by, or taste?

here we go, i hope i dont upset any fellow drinkers!

reputation=fosters, because anyone other than an Aussie, thinks that that is all we drink, to tell you the truth, i only drink it when i fly with Qantas, cause that is the only time i see it?!!?!?! and yes i dont mind the odd fosters

easyness to come by= VB Made south of the border, and is and Australan staple (would have nearly said "tooheys new" but its a little harder to come by all ver the country

taste= nothing made by an Australian company, because we wouldnt know how to brew something that tastes like dirt :p lol.gif \:D