I went to a fancy brewhouse today, the Minamisinsyu Biru Koubou or something in Komagane. But they just don't get it.

They have five varieties of ale and the small glass is 450 yen and the large glass 550 yen. I'd hate to see what you get with the small glass, because the 'big' glass held less than half a pint. That's about one big gulp and few other small sips.

It tasted fine, but probably a bit strong. If it came in a decent sized glass, it would definitely be too strong tasting.

What these people don't understand is that beer is a gulping, feel-good, happy drink that you 'down' in quantities and not at huge cost. You shouldn't have to think twice before you have the first one. After the shock of the first 'big' glass, I can't imagine what normal person would then go on to try the other four varieties, just for the hell of it.

When you go to the factory, you hope for some slight discount. After all, you've driven your car to the source, and cut out all the expense of distribution. But no, they sting you for the full whack, and more, so that you never want to go back, and indeed, see all ji-biru as an unsatisfactory rip-off.

It's a crying shame. I get teary-eyed at the thought.

Sorry to disappoint you Ocean 11. Boddys is a name only now. AS with most good things I think it got swallowed up " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> Cheers " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />