I swim once or twice a week and am going to start jogging soon. It helps me stay healthy but I want to lose my body fat.

A book told me that cutting down on carbs helps you to lose your body fat. But it seems very hard for me. No bread, No milk, No pasta, and No sugar!!!

I'm thinking when to start. Tomorrow? No, I still have milk in my fridge... Imagine the breakfast without bread and milk, break time without sweet cakes! I found myself in a carboholic.

Do you have any good diet?

there are certain foods you should cut down on depending on your blood type. i think theres a book out called "eat right for your type" and it goes into detail about what you should stay away from in terms of all food.

staying away from carbs is hard. Don't totally cut them out but try not to eat them for dinner. and don't eat late, which is hard if you are in the teaching trade!

The body does not need carbs at all. It's all excess. But good luck cutting them out. 50 grams per day is OK. If you drink, red wines are best. I read a book called Protein Power. It gave a lot of info on this topic. Check it out and good luck \:\)

You can get your energy from fats and proteins. Distilled spirits have nearly no carbs...it's all been turned to alcohal. If your cutting carbs you should forget about beer though.

A lot of Japanese men wont eat rice when they are drinking beer for the reason of too many carbs and getting fat.

also I am lactose intolerant and cant drink milk but I substitute with soy milk (tounyu) with my cereal, its not great to drink as a stand alone drink but is ok with cereal as you mostly taste the cereal not the soy.

And the bonus is that is half the carbs of milk!

Protein doesn't really supply your body with a great deal of energy, yet it is great for muscle growth. Body builders weeks before contests cut out most carbs and protein load to get ripped.Often they are very weak and lack energy because of this UN-healthy practise.

During my school years and after I was a member of both state & national cycling /triathlon teams. We had to eat a great deal of carbs to supply us with enough energy to get us through our daily training. Coming from my sporting background and study I cant see how a person's body could function 100% by eating protein and leaving out the carbs?

Is this a fad diet book or something that U are reading Kintaro? I would be interested to find out the title, so that I could have a read!

I don't think it's a fad but YES, it is something I've read. Book is "Protein Power" by Michael R. Eades, M.D and Mary Dan Eades, M.D. It's a diet sort of for type II diabetics (which I'm not) but interesting nontheless.. I bought the book in Japan..maybe at Kinokunia but Amazon.com has it as well. Also has a lot of low-carb recipe's.

Have you heard of the Atkins Diet?

http://atkinscenter.com

The basis is that the our bodies burn carbs before burning the fats, so if you cut the carbs way down the body burns the excess fat you have. Then by keeping the carbs low and eating a high protein, high fat diet (well higher fat than the typical low-fat diet) you will keep the weight off.

Sugars are so popular in our society and we eat so many grains that our carb intake is usually 3 times higher than it should be. Therefore we store more fat than is needed. The typical low calorie, low fat weight loss diet is always very high in carbs. You lose the weight by cutting back on the fat and are left hungry. With the Atkins diet you eat plenty of meat, nuts, cheese, and things that are big no-nos on a low-cal diet, so you are supposed to be less hungry, making it easier to stay on the diet.

Anyway, the diet does work...but so do other things. I do not know from personal experience, but have known people that have successfully lost considerably more weight than with any previous normal low-cal diets. Atkins is really big on changing your eating habits for life.

I find it too hard to have incredibly strict eating habits, and I think I have at least a few more years left of all right metabolism. But I would like to cut down my carbo intake all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everybody!

That's amazing! I'm eating less carbs and already lost 1kg! I have soy milk and rye bread now. It's not so hard. My body fat less 1% and want to lose another 2%!

I hope I can make it! lol.gif

Slow......no disrespect to what others have posted here, but its really very simple. Your ability to lose weight is a simple function of calories in versus calories out. It doesn't matter if you get your calories from eating carbs, fat, protein or used car tyres. So long as the amount of calories you burn is HIGHER than the amount you put in your mouth, then you will lose weight and reduce your body fat percentage.

If your really serious you can buy yourself a Nutrition Almanac and add up the total calories of all the foods you eat during the day. If you take your training program to any personal trainer at a gym they should be able to advise you how many calories your burning during the day. Then its up to you to manage the equation.

It seems to me that the "calories in" side of the equation tends to get a lot more focus than the "calories out" side of the equation for one simple reason. Its easier.

Good luck.

Thank you Antonio,

Yes, to know calories of foods is very important. I always read back labels of foods. I need to lose not my weight but my body fat. It would be nice if I have a trainer...

I'd like to know the difference of the average of body fat. Books tell me under 24% for women, under 20% for men is the normal body fat. Is this global standard?