My missus is Yafoo auction junkie. She's online every night and she buys all her clothes there. It's nearly all designer stuff and she gets jackets that originally cost 40 man for 1,000 yen including postage. People often send other related stuff that you didn't ask for as saabis.

When we were looking for a car, Yafoo had some good deals.

It occurs to me that you get much better treatment from these private sellers than you ever get in shops here. Maybe one reason why it's taken off so well?

I got screwed over using eBay. I put something for sale and someone put a bid on it. When the auction finished we exchanged a couple of emails. Then all of a sudden he stopped replying to my emails. I kept trying to get in contact with him to no avail. I then emailed eBay asking for some assistance. They said they would help out, but that was the last i heard of it.

I bought a reconditioned fridge off a guy I found through Yahoo auctions. It was really cheap. He had his email address in the auction info, so I didn't have to join Yahoo auctions. They now charge commission and a monthly fee.

I used Yahoo jp alot. The charges now the have imposed kinda suck but I just charge the person buying the shit the extra 3%. Now that they can use credit cards has made it much more easy to pay.

Still it amazes me that someone that doesn't know me from a bar of soap will send me 100,000 to my bank acc and trust that I will send the merch!

I've bought and sold a ton of dirty schoolgirl pantie... Japanese goods, on eBay succesfully. \:D

...but actually, I've gotten some really good deals buying turntables etc., and sold a bunch of stuff when I moved to Japan through eBay.

Be careful when buying big buck stuff on eBay. I was monitoring the auctions a few months back for a new (not used) 15" G4 1Ghz Powerbook (for non Mac users this is the current top of the line 15" mac laptop). Prices on eBay in the states are way cheaper than getting it from the shop or auctions here. Only buy from power sellers and definitely have contact with them beforehand.

I wrote to one seller asking if he'd ship to Japan and he wrote back saying - 'I'm NOT selling this item'. Turned out someone had somehow used his eBay ID and password, and had put the item up for auction. He thanked me profusely for writing to him as he cancelled the auction immediately and changed his password and sent angry emails to ebay who eventually replied inferring that he was probably somehow at fault, no apology and certainly not denying that this thing has happened before (though they don't advertise it of course)....

Another guy I wrote to told me that he had already auctioned the item in a previous auction, and was about to ship it when he received an email from Paypal telling him that the buyer had stolen someone else's Paypal ID. If it hadn't been a Sunday he would have shipped it immediately....

I also wrote to some others, with way way too cheap prices and turns out they were selling from central Europe (one from Bucharest)... and wanted wire transfer or moneygram. 'This item is one of many confiscated by customs by people illegally trying to bring them into the country....' goes one seller's story... In the original ebay blurb it says all kinds of payments accepted, but when I wrote to he/she/it they said no credit cards.... 'so how can I protect myself?' I write back.... 'no problem, just send through moneygram to a false name - any name except mine is fine and fax me the receipts. When I check to see if the money's arrived under that name at my local monegram office I'll send the item and when you receive the item and check it's okay you can change the name to my name... This protects you totally' was the reply.... Uh, duh, excuse me, but how does that protect YOU???? I reply.... for some strange reason that I can't quite explain I decided not to go ahead with this 'totally safe' deal. You'll probably say I was stupid for not jumping at it..... heh heh.....

yeah there is some doginess on ebay.

I am a seller on ebay, i turn 40,000yen into maybe 100,000 every 2 or 3 weeks (depending on how much free time i have). I get a lot of free time at work so I can do it. Plus its fun. Anyway...

My advice is only buy from sellers with a high feedback rating. Like over 75 or so. Read their feedback, and see if there have been any problems. I have a feedback of 205, and thats 100% positive, cos I dont mess people around or con them. If you are spending over $500, you should definetly use paypal and only buy from a power seller.

As for ebay and paypal - I hate them. After 6 months, I still havent managed to withdraw any money from my paypal account to my bank account. (It looks like it might go soon though) It failed about 4 times, costing me lots of money, maybe $300 total, in exchange rates and "cancellation fees" even though it was them at fault and not me. I provided them with the information they asked for, but they messed it up at their end and charge ME for it.

Also, ebay and paypal customer support is terrible. Its a nightmare even finding the phone number, let alone getting any sense of their operators. All emails are responded with generic nonsense that doesnt address your problem.

Ebay charge sellers 2 or 3 fees for listing items, and then Paypal charge another 1 or 2 fees for dealing with the money. They are owned buy the same people. Its a con. I reckon I lose about 15% of my money to them. I dont mind them taking a cut, of course not, but 15% in total is too much. But what can I do?

Also, their listing software sucks and has been buggy at times creating a lot of work for me. However they are planning to withdraw this software, in favour of their new software which requires about 20x more work to get your items listed. Crazy. Its almost like they are trying to wind their users up.

They have a monopoly and its either like it or lump it. All lot of sellers think like me, but there seems to be nothing we can do.

new things? one the Auctions? there are heaps!

I would stay clear from Ebay! All I hear is dodgy reports.

Yahoo japan is safe and a few rules have been put in place to stop the scams. Cheap boarding gear, and new too if you are after a bargain!

I've found some good snowboard stuff on Ebay. Especially if your big and can't find your size in Japan. BTW.. the company is doing well...I wish I bought the stock a few years ago! Yahoo Japan auctions are good too. If you can read Japanese, it may be easier to use than Ebay. You usually don't need Paypall, etc.

O11, I bought a 164 Burton. Also got some US size 11 DC boots and some wearing gear. The hard part is finding people that ship internationally. I'm 185cm/90kilo's.

Although I still can't walk yet from my snowboarding induced broken leg, I'm looking for a "tanker" something bigger to ride in pow. If you see anything let me know! Onegaishimasu \:\)