Let's just settle this: Do you support/like America or not?

I don't know how to word this to include evertything. American...culture, foreign policy, food, music, movies...whatever. Do you more like or dislike the USA and all that it's made of? The name calling and pointing of fingers is getting out of hand. No need to get phillisophical with this one. It's simple really. Your yes or no opinion of the US.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinataro, do you like Egypt? Yes, I do. Impossible? Why post? I'm just bored with what's available so I'm trying to get something started. This topic keeps coming up on different threads so I figured lets get it out in the open. It's a debatable topic. Impossible? A general answer will do but "impossible" can stay home wakaranai.gif

I love it, it can be boring, back where I am from, but there is no better place for me to earn a living, and the variety of places to travel to is fantastic.

If I could somehow merge my working life back home with my extra-working life here in Japan, I think I would be in heaven.

anyone else feel this way ?

Kintaro, Egypt isn't thrust in our goddamn faces 24/7! kind of a bad example.

With the US being such a super power they are going to obviously open to alot of flack.. why haven't the seppo's realised that yet? Don't take it so personally!!!!

I think the votes speak for themselves. America isn't and never has been veiwed as black or white on this forum, merely judged on it's merits in each situation as they arise.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Can we have a 'do you like Kintaro?', c'mon let's get it out in the open poll next?
Nice immature post. wouldn't expect any less of you.

Kintaro has a very valid point here. There is a ton of anti-american stuff spewed on this board. To not recognize it, you are either a hypocrite or a liar. Ocean, do me a favor and re-read some of the crap that you've posted here. I'll make it easy - just do a search for RayinJapan or Plucky. Even When we agree, you still have a slanted argument and take your pot shots at us. So do most on here.

Let me guess - I'll get some responses that I'm too sensitive and that I'm talking out of my ass. Since some of us agree on this topic, that apparently makes us all too sensitive.

I love my country. I hate who's in power right now. However, the fact that I agree with most of you will be lost on the simple fact that I was born American. There always has to be some slight-handed comment.

Let the rants begin.

Too sensitive?

Obsessively paranoid sounds more accurate. ;\)

But I agree, the main few people who do speak up on either side of this argument are never going to come close to agreeing.

Time to talk about chocolate, or dogs, or grabia \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by IIIII:
Too sensitive?

Obsessively paranoid sounds more accurate. ;\)

But I agree, the main few people who do speak up on either side of this argument are never going to come close to agreeing.

Time to talk about chocolate, or dogs, or grabia \:\)
Check the post below - I can talk about dogs and even be nice \:\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by nagpants:
Let the rants begin?

No, lets leave it alone shall we? - getting tiring. I for one will just be avoiding these silly kind of posts.
Ummmm, don't read and don't post then. simple as that.
 Quote:
Ummmm, don't read and don't post then. simple as that.
Ummmm, I think that's what the man said he planned to do wave.gif

I don't see the point of this, man. It just isn't so simple to ask if you like America (or Egypt). Come on...I like things about America. I don't know everything about Amerirca. How about "do you agree with American foreign policy?" That might actually continue interesting converation instead of this crap.

Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
I don't see the point of this, man. It just isn't so simple to ask if you like America (or Egypt). Come on...I like things about America. I don't know everything about Amerirca. How about "do you agree with American foreign policy?" That might actually continue interesting converation instead of this crap.
That's the problem. I stated above and in other posts my disdane for America's foreign policy. Doesn't matter though. I'm still not clear what Egypt has to do with this.

enderzero - I'm tired of this too. But if you look back on the history of this board, us Ami's have been dealt a harsh blow. If you have an opinion that is just slightly different than the mainstream on here, you get beaten for it. I've got no problem with rational arguments and discussions. I'ts just not possible here. The whole war in Iraq sealed the deal. It was obviously evil, but if you say one pro thing for it, you get completetely chasitsed on here. Hell, even on the ski board if you said Hakkoda is a good place you'd have people rip you apart because seppos frequented the joint. It gets a bit tiresome. I'm all for rational discussion but it's a tough thing to come by here.

I'm off to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I love the humor and don't care who made it.

aloha

Egypt has nothing to do w/this. Baka's! Ocean..The "member rated" section is my pole. I'm a 3 star but could give a f**ck less. This pole was a semi-joke for all of you non Americans or trying to be PC Americans that pretend that you are indifferent to the subject when that's all I read on this forum. Here's everyone: "I have no opinion...what is this question....blah blah blah" Your opinions are all over this place. If you truly have none than shiatuuuuup!

Just getting things into perspective here:

- the largest nationality group on this forum is more than likely Americans;

- this bitter argument that is going on, or at least the prolonged part, involves about 3 people on either side - hardly many people;

- as a few people have said, most people are probably not even interested in the argument anymore and are either not coming back or just not participating - leaving the remaining few people to battle it out, on and on and on and seemingly trying to make out more than it is;

- I'm not sure why some of you who feel so strongly about the apparent anti-whatever (which is not apparent to me and most other people), keep on coming here if you dislike it so much wakaranai.gif . Seems the vast majority don't get worked up so much over "discussion" - agree or disagree.

Last of all, peace to you all - wherever you're from \:\)

\:D

Kintaro and Plucky, I asked that question because your insecurity and vanity seems to be more personal than national. So as you give us an opportunity to say if we like your nation or not, I'd also like the opportunity to say whether or not I like you personally. You're much too quick to confuse the two, whereas Ray is an adult and doesn't confuse them at all.

Plucky, if you want me to acknowledge that we agree on something, would you be kind enough to explain once again, calmly, where we agree?

P.S., I don't hate Americans, I judge each one on their merits, and like some and dislike others. Just as I would anybody from England, and like most normal people would I should imagine.

I generally like what I know about thing called America!

Cool movies, big theme parks, great people, fab accents - cool cool.gif

\:D

You know, I love what America stands for, and I'm very patriotic, but I have my fair share of times when I'm not that crazy about the good ole USA. For example, I love the fact that here in Japan, I don't have to worry about someone stealing my jet skis if they're on the trailer outside while I'm watching a movie. On the flip side, I hate the fact that most Japanese drivers have a tendency to run red lights while most Americans do the right thing and stop at them.

Its not a perfect world thats for sure...people have been searching for Utopia for thousands of years.

I love American music (not all of it of course, but lots). Also two of my favourite modern writers, Tom Wolfe and Hunter Thompson, are American. I admire the American polical system, at least as it's drafted, even if it is going into hibernation at the moment.

Unfortunately, I don't think American foreign policy is very good, and I think that's unlikely to change soon.

And, that, as far as I am concerned, is that...