I've been listening to the new Linkin Park album, and really getting to like it. eek.gif Heavier than I imagined.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Sunrise, thanks, brah! I will for the first time in a long time BUY (rather than download) your CD. I'm a big music fan and super willing to support a member of this forum..what are your distribution channels?
Well, thanks for supporting independent music Kintaro. I'm currently looking around for distribution and if it turns out I can't get it I'll put it out myself. I'll keep you posted. If you're impatient and want an unmastered CDR of the finished mixes email me.

As for the chillout stuff, that'll be in Tower, etc....

Quote:
BTW- my father was the drummer for Steve Miller waaay back in the day...Chubby Checker b/f that.
You mean Steve Miller - as in Steve Miller Band? ("The Joker"?) Very cool. He was great. You mean he also played with Chubby Checker?
  • 1 month later...

Evanescence album

Only heard it once but it sounded good, something like this:

Linkin Park - rap - male vocal + female vocal reminding me of All About Eve

It's an interesting topic for a musician, that's for sure. Personally I don't think it's a bad thing. Of course it's nice to get paid for my works, and I guess if the whole planet decided to pirate everything I do it's going to be harder to make a decent living from it (not that I currently am, but that is my aim), but I don't think that's ever going to be the case. I think there are always going to be people who want to pay, whether to support the musicians or simply because they are audiophiles and want to own the CD with the real liner notes, etc.

I think it's important that music gets out there. If someone copies my CD it means that people like it and want to hear it and this 'spreads the word' and then if word continues to spread eventually someone who wants to buy it will get wind of it. Not everyone downloads for free without the intention of buying the music later on. There are many people want to listen to music before they buy (hence the success of Apple's single song downloads at the iTunes Music store - where people are sick of paying out for whole albums full of trash when it's only 1 or 2 songs that they like on there.) I certainly prefer to listen before I buy. These days I do tend to buy most of my music, but not all. Of course there are many people who aren't likely to ever buy music as they prefer to download/copy it for free. Why pay if you can get it free? This may or may not have a longterm affect on the artists' ability to have enough money to continue making the great music that people download without paying for. Personally I feel there are enough people on the planet who will always buy music to offset that.

I believe the reason that record sales are down is due to humungus amounts of absolute crap at high prices that the record companies are trying to sell. As well as the way radio stations work these days, meaning that less music gets heard as (definitely in the states) the majority of radio stations are owned by one (or just a few? can't remember) company who delegates what's allowed to be played, so nowadays you have 'genre' stations, whereas in the past you could listen to a country song next to a disco track. So on radio we don't get exposed to as much musical variations as we used to.

A friend of mine who worked on many big albums in the 80s says that nowadays the record companies are run by their accountants rather than their A&R people, so there's less risk factor taken than there ever used to be, and artists are dumped if their albums don't get picked up immediately, whereas in the past it was expected that an artist may not do well until their 3rd or even 4th album. This is why the indies are increasingly popular as they can take more risks and tend to (generally speaking) care for their artists more than the majors do. It's usually mainly the majors that get heard on the 'regular' radio stations (record companies have to pay lots of cash to get their songs airplay). So downloads are helping spread new music around that otherwise wouldn't get heard and I would imagine are probably helping some artists find success as more people get to know them through those channels.

If the free downloaders like the music and it really spreads around, which is inevitably going to happen if people like it, then come time to perform live there's a whole new fan base who will want to pay to see the artist perform. I'm just a tiny fish in the ocean, so I can't say if that kind of thing would ever benefit me personally. But it probably wouldn't hurt me and for sure if it ever happened that thousands of people started sharing my music, eventually the industry would start hearing about me and other things would come from that. But even if they like it, people also still have to be able to find my music (as an unknown artist) in the first place. Places like mp3.com are extremely popular and some otherwise unknown artists using those kinds of sites are able to make decent money between free and paid for downloads.

Check out Janis Ian - an artist with hit songs some 30 odd years ago who is still going great guns making a living from touring. She's written a great article on this subject here and a follow up article (you'll see the link). She definitely agrees that downloads benefit the artist.

After all, it's not really different from someone making copies of their friends' or rented albums or even recording off the radio and I don't know ANYONE who's never done that...

As for RIAA, I think they're an evil organization with way too much power that they shouldn't have. Courtney Love also wrote a wonderful article on downloading music and the major labels, who are popularly known for trying to exploit as much as possible from the artist.

For me personally, No 1 is to get the music out there and No 2 is be able to make a living from it. Unless it's a particular job, I don't write music with the purpose in mind of selling it. (that comes later). I write it because I want and need to write it, and I record it because I then want to make it sound as good as possible for my own pleasure and satisfaction first, and for others later, and I perform it because I love doing it. Second comes making money from it, which is probably why I'm so far not such a great marketer and not rich! lol.gif

But I certainly don't want to still be playing hotel lounges and singing on Mini Lotto commercials in 10 years time, and since I'm not owned by a major label it's actually really possible - especially nowadays with the internet - to eventually be able to quit those kinds of gigs, free downloads or not.

Hi Ender,

How's life in post Japan going? Yeh, what happened with that? I was actually going to hand you a CDR before you left but we never got to hook up again. No worries - there's a few people around here and other places who have asked to hear stuff so I'm going to put up a couple of sound files before too long so I'll let you know when. Just trying to sort out the best place to put them for now... until I've figured out where to leave them more permanantly (such as mp3.com, my own site, or wherever).

Hi Sunrise,

Yeah the radio in the US is ridiculous. Almost all stations are owned by just a few huge media conglomerates, Clear Channel being the main one. The idea of a genre radio station is everywhere. You go to a different city and they have the exact same stations, just with different call letters. Same song lists, DJs so similar you can't tell the difference, same early morning style shows. You've got the "new rock" stations, 90s heavier rock, classic rock, best of contemporary rock, pop and hip-pop, etc... each one of them having an identical format to their counterparts in other cities. Same play list exactly. Yet they try to claim some kind of status such as "first to play the new Foo Fighters song," or "first to break this band," like they have any say in what music actually gets played.

It is still possible to find decent college radio stations scattered here and there, though.

• 2 weeks later...