Insider was great, a little slow, but most true stories are. Speaking of true stories, I really dug Catch Me If You Can.

Going to see a movie tomorrow - my first cinematic experience here in Japan - what is playing now ? ? ?

My favourite Kurosawa film is Ikiru, the one set in the 50s about a civil servant who's only got months to live. It might be a bit slow for some people, but it's a really beautiful film. One of my all-time top three for sure.

scouser - yes, definitely with subtitles! I cannot stand to watch an kind of voice over. Especially with Japanese movies as I am trying to learn the language.

I forced db to watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with subtitles the other day kicking and screaming. He admitted he didn't even notice he was reading by half way through. I have been a huge fan of foreign films for so long it always shocks me when someone is hesitant to watch a movie with subtitles.

The Tsutaya (sp?) here has loads of classics, the sort of stuff they just don't have back in Blockbuster in the UK. Over the last couple of weeks I've seen The Killing Fields, The Deer Hunter and Cukoo's Nest. All great films.

As for subtitles I saw Battle Royale back home in the UK, the reading was a pain, perhaps cos the film was a bit cr*p.

Actually, enderzero, the Kitano film I watched was on Cable TV and there are a lot of non-pirated videos with dual sub-titles. The one good thing about the extensive pirated video and CD markets here is that it has forced the prices of the real stuff down to more realistic levels so you can pick up tons of the "good" stuff here at cheap prices! The pirated market, on the other hand, though offering dirt cheap prices, can never guarantee quality or even if it is playable at all.