This is not racist meaning, but I am not sure how to say it.....please understand -

Is somebody on this board a black skin person? And what is correct way to say this question in English?

Thanks ;\)

heya,

I understand what you mean, my brother is adopted (sri lankan) and i always thought it was rude when people asked hows ur "black" brother? i mean if you dont know his name dont ask...or just your brother how is he?!

Anyways too the point, its less offensive to ask, do you have dark skin? rather than black....

or whats your background, where are your parents from or what nationality are you orginally... and soo on..! wakaranai.gif

I hate having to specify race, and try to avoid it. When its necessary, I dont know what to say and kind of mumble 'black' or 'afro caribbean' or something. I know 'coloured' is seen as offensive.

To be honest, I dont care if someone calls me 'white' but I guess 'caucasian' would be better.

A fair question from echineko.

Recently I referred to a black people as being Negro. The white americans with me fell apart in shock and set me right on what is the better word to use, which is black. I had no idea. I honestly thought this word (black) was incorrect (ie, offensive/insulting/not PC) and that negro was the correct word.

I felt pretty ignorant I suppose. And I feel pretty ignorant speaking like this now.

I have an African-American friend here in Japan and he has no problem with black. He says some of the Japanese have a few problems with trying not to be offensive, but not knowing what to say.

I dont think one is meant to refer to color at all, to be perfectly correct. The correct way would be to refer to ones cultural heritage, and if you dont know it, ask.

db, it doesn't surprise me, (and I'm being serious this time) as I may have mentioned in previous posts in a more jokey/provocative manner. On a recent trip to Australia, I was pretty shocked at the low level of PC, and was often put in an awkward position regarding being a polite guest and laughing at an offensive joke or pissing off the future inlaws in their own home! I really dont think any meaning was attached to what was said, but the fact that the possibility that it might be offensive didn't cross anyone's mind was quite a shock.

All the jokes and warnings about 'abo's' too. (oddly enough, it was a couple of aboriginals who went way out of their way to lend a hand in the outback after blowing out a few tyres.

Really no offence meant by this post. As mentioned previously, the 'Aussie way' seems to be to call all groups by names that many of us consider off limits, albeit in jest.

How about the persons name? Country of birth/ residence?

Failing those it's a case of common sense isn't it? I wouldn't hesitate to use black, carribean, west indian or Oriental, Asian but only if totally necessary such as describing someones apperance to a friend.

In the states, it's ok to say black depending on how you use it. For example if you were to call someone a black dude/man or a black chick/woman, it's usually fine, but referring to someone as "a black" is offensive. "African-American" is a bit over-PC if you ask me, but "negro" is definitely NOT a word that should be used to describe someone.

It really depends on the person, but there are alot of seemingly harmless words that could also be offensive, like "bro" or "sister."

A little off topic, but isn't it strange how rather than actually saying or writing an unpleasent word, we do/say things like "the N word", "the F word" or F**k, C*** etc.

When we hear or read those things, the offensive word immediately pops into our head, so the effect is exactly the same as if we had actually said the word or written the word out in full etc.

All very strange - and yes, I am pretty bored at work this afternoon.

Very true indeed kambei. I have a particular dislike for "the N word" so i guess i don't like spreading it around. I find it a lot more offensive than any other word, including "the C word" and "the F word".

I don't agree with most censorship but i tend to censor things if i think that others around me my find them offensive.

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:

db, it doesn't surprise me....
You are spot on. I cringe when I hear many Australians speak. Most are otherwise educated, experienced and clever.... until they say abo, nip, wog etc. I am not proud.

On the topic:

I was always to nervous to say black, I thought it made me a racist, so I used negro. It was just a case of not knowing any better.

In NZ my wife gets plenty of "where are you from" questions (shes asain) and the answer "wellington" doesnt usually satisfy the asker. "no I mean origanally" is the responce. It takes a good while to explain that she is of x decent but her family lived in Y for ? generations before shifting to NZ - there is no correct fast answer.

kambei - I also think its strange that words can be super offensive in the first place. I was thinking about this the other day when learning bad japanese words, they really have no meaning for me, they are just sounds. How do words provoke so much emotion/ responce. why were these terrible words invented if they are so bad?

If we heard a non english speaker shouting f c etc.. we would be a bit shocked even though these words are just sounds to them. strange.

Jared, you're joking, right?

Bad words were invented to be, er, bad...no?

Words themselves, of course, are harmless, but they are designed to convey a message. They tell us whether someone is being respectful or not. Racial slurs tend to convey a message of contempt (which, is generally why they are used).

i can see why the racial ones cause offence because of the history involved with the word, but saying f when you hit your finger with a hammer for example -on tvs in many nations that would be cencored.