Large denomination highway cards no longer on sale?

I was just looking at the JH page and that's what it said. Sorry if this has come up when I've not been following the board.

http://www.jhnet.go.jp/topic/haikahaisi.html

It said they stopped selling them at the end of Feb. I took the highway a few weeks back from Nagoya to Nagano, but didn't notice any information about it.

If it's not obvious, the reason for this is to force everyone who wants a discount to fit an ETC (electronic billing) machine to their car. There's an apology to motorcyclists because ETC is not available to them. People with two cars (me and my wife) deserve an apology too if you ask me. You'll need an ETC unit in each car \:\( \:\( \:\(

From March 1, 2004, you'll not be able to use the cards, so you'll have to swap them for lower denomination ones.

It sounds like its time to stock up if you can find any in the discount ticket shops. There's a 16% discount on the 50,000 yen ones, which is a lot more worthwhile then all those poxy 5% loyalty cards every shop under the sun wants you to have in your wallet.

Actually there is a poster on each and every tool booth saying that the cards were no longer on sale.

I have noticed these for about the last half year.

Apparently the reports on the stopping of the selling of the cards was not becasue of a push of ETC, but more because of the reusing of the cards(much like the phone cards of old that you could buy in the streets in Shibuya) creating a loss for the Highway companies. I don't think there loss was coming from this but somewhere else. However that is another story.

As far as shifting to ETC, what a farse. Still see plenty of ETC folk stuck in the traffic line up prior to the tool booth as they can't get to their little area. Wonderful resolution to the traffic jam problem. mad.gif

Money grab with no options Money grab with no options Money grab with no options Money grab with no options Money grab with no options Money grab with no options.

Thats how I see it. I have one card left and after that I dont know what I will do. I dont think people will run out and by the etc. The main market truck drivers dont want it. They need reciepts at the time of payment in order to get there money back.

If they really wanted to save money they could have come up with a better system. I know some countries that give portable etc devices. The cost runs between 3000 to 5000 yen. instead the system costs around 50000 to install here, right.

That 50000 card was good value. I liked it.

ETC doesn't seem so popular yet. That device is too expensive. We already pay a toll and who wants to use more money for that! confused.gif

JH has to be more clever.

I never noticed the signs. I've seen a lot of notices in the toilets about how to use ETC and about discounts for ETC, but none about highway cards. When I reach a toll booth, I'm probably too concerned about hitting something to read any signs they may have there.

I don't know if the system is different near the cities, but I have always handed over a highway card to a person in a booth. The amount used by every journey is recorded on the back of the card along with the remaining credit. Surely they can easily spot cards that have been tampered with. It's not automatic like card phones. As an excuse for phasing out the cards, it sounds pretty weak. Not that a large bureaucratic organization treating the public like idiots would be anything new, of course.

They could have just banned highway cards on automated booths, if such things exist.

By law, the main highways were supposed to be made toll-free once their construction costs were covered. This state has been reached on some of the popular roads, but the tolls remain to cover the losses in the other parts of the highway system.

Fatty, I think the cost of an ETC unit is closer to 20,000 yen now. That doesn't mean I want to pay it, of course.

Anyone heading to Hakuba from Nagano City should note that the toll on the tunnel has been reduced from 200 yen one way to 100 yen. There is a way around the tunnel via Nakajo if you don't want to pay.

The Nakajo road the best way anyways... I remember the first time I unwillingly used the toll tunnel when it first opened.

No fakie thanks for the cost update. A little to late for JH though. Most countries or companies would do that in reverse no. Buy it cheap before set the demand then up the price a bit. Instead you have me quoting the old price, a rather high one it was. I wonder how much Jh has lost on this ETC thing.

Unfortunately I have to use highways almost everyday.

I Nagoya the nagoya expressway has a new link to the Tomei (nagoya Interchange) and we have to pay 500Y for 1km!! I guess they are trying to make it easier foir the people!

I am totally against ETC if you have to pay to set it up, but have seen a promo somewhere that if you bought it for 3man you got 3man in credit. That way would be the only way I would ever purchase it.

Funny that when the highways were built that they were supposed to be free after a few years!