? Don't know how to spell it... but what EXACTLY is it? My town always goes on about it - but never seems to actually make anything approaching attractive.

Anyone care to shed any light on this phrase and its meaning?

xxx, excellent question. As a translator, I would hate to be faced with that in a text. I might even be forced to take your name in vain to deal with it.

"As mayor of Bakacho, I will work very hard at xxx for the benefit of all the citizens of Bakacho."

I think that it is another way of both saying nothing and hinting that you will do your utmost to roll out the pork barrel. It's something of a new catchphrase with a pedigree about as old as 'jibun nari ni/no'.

Machi zukuri - such a great phrase hey, but I trust they are all looking after us and making our town as great as possible - tirelessly.

O11 - what's "jibun nari ni" then? Not heard that one.

scouser, you can't NOT have heard it, especially if you watch sport news.

'Jibun nari no sumo wo toritai'

'Jibun nari ni purai shitai'.

It means they are going to do it differently, in their own special, individual way. Everybody says it.

Build skateparks with cafes and skate/clothing shops around them. Inject a bit of variety into the culture. How many masturbatory architectural spaces are there that aren't used by anybody for anything much?

They all site down in their town hall and discuss how to use out town yen and how to "make the town better". We should all be thankful for all the lovely machizukuri schemes out there making the towns a better place for you and I to live ;\)

I think towns should wake up and do more about the poor cheese situation in towns. If only they did machizukuri for all the cheesefans around, towns would be a better place.

Not only would everyone enjoy eating the delicious and nutritious cheese, but they would make new friend and everyone would get along just fine.

\:D