You Guys in Tokyo are screwed!!!!

I was just watching BBC news about the Tokyo Power crisis and its gonna hit you all soon! Power cuts are almost guaranteed as only 2 of 17 your Nuclear power reactors are back working due to the gross incompetence of Tokyo Electric.

When summer hits and you all crank up the aircon there is going to be trouble, big trouble. You guys are going to have a long hot summer.

The thread about the Tokyo tower lights was a grim forewarning. Good Luck

yah...

my company just sent an email to all plants/offices in the kanto area...seems they are taking company wide measures to help prepare/deal with the inevitable...

my favorite is : "Turn off heater switch of wash-let toilet" lol.gif

thank god I am going home for a month during the thick of it!

danz

It would be interesting if a 'long hot summer' in Tokyo led to a bit of a political shakeup... Rioting, lynching, looting, the Jietai called in by the fascist governor to suppress the foreigners responsible...

I will certainly participate in teh looting if it happens, but I fear it will not happen in the Big T, but more in the coutryside towns when they realise that their plants are being drained of power to feed the hungry Big T and Mr. And Mrs. rice grower are having black outs every second night!

I would just like to send a big thank you to all you country siders for so generously lending us your power.

Now I should take up with the power company the issue of discounts if I cannot get power.

There was a big write up about this in this weekend's metropolis.

To make matters worse, apparantly there is actually enough excess power available from other power stations around the country, but because West Japan uses a 60htz freq and not the 50htz freq used by East Japan, that excess power can't be used. Apparantly the converters that they have can only handle the outpout of one nuclear reactor.

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Yeah...and I hear that when the clock strike 12 on January first of the year 2000, all the computers will explode, ATMs will shoot out money, planes will fall from the sky, and the cities will burn with rioters and vandals.

Everyone talked about the same thing (the power shortages, that is) a couple years ago (or was it last year) on America's west coast, but it never really turned into the doomsday everyone was fearing.

So when the power cuts out, everyone head to Roppongi Hills.

Quote:
The power supply is the most vital part of a computer, without power going through it correctly, a computer is just a futile box of plastic, wires and metal.
Wow! That is true! This guy must have a computer science degree. He is some kind of genius. So you are saying if there is no power to a computer...it doesn't work?
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kambei:

To make matters worse, apparantly there is actually enough excess power available from other power stations around the country, but because West Japan uses a 60htz freq and not the 50htz freq used by East Japan, that excess power can't be used. Apparantly the converters that they have can only handle the outpout of one nuclear reactor.
Yup, that's Japanese efficiency for ya! :rolleyes:
 Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
Everyone talked about the same thing (the power shortages, that is) a couple years ago (or was it last year) on America's west coast, but it never really turned into the doomsday everyone was fearing.
Enderdude its a matter of supply and demand, the 17 nukes of TEPC supply over 40% of the electricity. 15 of 17 are on hiatus and not producing. The power grid is groaning now and when the real heat of summer hits, the faithful are all going to crank up their aircons which are huge consumers of electricity. It will overload the grid, its inevitable.

Ironically Tokyo Electric in 2001 was listed second only to Toyota as having the highest income of ALL Japanese companies. 2nd highest earning company! Undoubtedly their cover ups and systematic concealment of faults and problems with the Nuke Reactors helped them to this position......bastards. Heads need to role and no golden parachutes for the snivelling execs. Cracks me up how they appear on TV all solemn and all apologize deeply and profusely and bow ultra low.....someone should knee them in the head while they have their heads super low like that, I propose Bob Sapp.

If the power goes off I don't think it will be that hot anyway. No one will be able to use their A/C's and therefore there is no super heated air is being expelled into the already hot outdoors.

I remember reading somewhere that if all the AC's in Tokyo were shut off in Summer the temperature would drop on average 5 degrees. This to the body is suppposed to feel greater than the actual drop.

Could be a perfect time to experiment huh?

5 degrees eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

that seems a bit much, no??? Tokyo is huge!! the amount of energy needed to heat the city 5 whole degrees would be enormous...

where did you read that???

danz

Don't remember so therefore I am reliant on my memory which quite frankly has been round the bend a few too many times.

If you think about this though it makes sense. Every building in Tokyo has AC. Every train in Tokyo has AC. Most homes have more than one AC unit. That is a lot of hot air being pumped out into a very confined and clustered space. Want to experience this in a mini Tokyo set up, then I suggest you wait for the Ginza-line at Shinbashi stn!

PC throw out heat right? If these went down the buildings wouldn't be as hot right? This means no work right? I SAY LET THE POWER BE TURNED OFF! No work=more play clap.gif

No work!! clap.gif

But we can't get away from Tokyo without car...

No AC, Ok in my room. I can leave open the window but I can't stand the heat without AC in my office.

I hate fixed windows...

there are more factors involved than just aircon output. I studied urban heat islands at Uni and recall other telling factors such as the concrete jungle effect, ie all the extra concrete absorbing and retaining heat and then slowly dissapating it later, etc etc. but turning off all the aircons would contribute to a decline but I would be very surprised if it were 5 degrees.

Guess you fellas in Tokyo can tell us soon aye ;\)

You're all invited to Walled Lake, Michigan to go wakeboarding and water-skiing and drinking on the boats. It's hot but not humid, and the evenings are deliciously cool and fragrant.

I may be taking a surfing\camping trip over to Lake Michigan, in case anyone cares to join.

Mogs?

I would like to go but I must first pass around the hat.

Donations please. (I have facilities for all major credit cards and am happy to issue receipts for all those wishing for tax breaks.) \:D

I don't think you need to panic people. Without giving too much away, my work is in the "energy" industry.

Based on our best estimates the power is unlikely to go off in Tokyo this year. It is quite likely another couple of nuclear units will come back in Fukushima prefecture during July which will add to current capacity. Tepco has also restarted a host of old oil fired stations which will soak up some additional summer demand. And while the converter issue is a definite problem, Tepco are still able to bring in power from Hokkaido EPC, Tohoku EPC and Hokuriku EPC, who all operate on the same frequency.

Based on analysis of past years peaks in demand, the current shortage would only be an issue on perhaps 5 or 6 of the hottest days of summer. Covering those peaks is the issue. I also understand that after the previous blackouts in the late 80's a system was introduced to ensure power was turned off in rural areas before the city, meaning the shortfall would have to be huge before the lights went out in the city - that won't happen, or at least that's our forecast anyway. If i'm wrong, could be looking for a new job soon!

The ironic part of all this is that the lights going out in the city may have been just the jolt (excuse the pun) needed to get real electricity reform moving. Although i'm sure now the utilities will manage to turn it round and use it as a way of explaining why current efforts have destabilised electricty security and their current monopolies should be maintained.

Prices for electricity in this country are an absolute rort!

Mikazooki, i'm not familiar with the problems of the west coast of America from 1996, but as i understand it, Tepco are able to shut down parts of the grid, in order to maintain supply to the most needy (read city) areas. The problem they have is that on really hot days sudden demand spikes in the city, which may only last 15 minutes, could shut down the grid. Its planning for these major spikes that is the problem.

Its actually very interesting to look at an electricty demand graph and see it dip in the morning when everyone turns the lights off at home and heads for work. Then you have the huge surge around 9:30am when everyone is arriving, turning on lights and firing up their computers, dips at lunch time etc.