July 1st. Canada day. Just wondering how fellow Canadians will celebrate.

Get loaded

Fire crackers

What are other people going to do. July 4th is coming up. Not sure about other countries birthday.

Yippee clap.gif clap.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by ILiveToSki:
Just wondering how fellow Canadians will celebrate.
Probably by talking the back legs off a donkey. I never met a Canadian yet who didn't stop talking.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Probably by talking the back legs off a donkey.
At least we're not screwing them.

I'm going to have a beer and maybe some cheese. (I'm a big fan of Romono or is it Ricotta) to celebrate my nations birthday.

Yes.... yes it was. But still then the United Kingdom wasn't 'united' the Scots and Welsh not to mention the Irish were at war with the English monarchy for hundreds of years, the Welsh (unfortunately) were quashed for the last time and became part of the Union in late 1400's while the Scots and Irish carried on warring for hundreds of years after.....and still are to some degree.

The best way to look at the UK is as 4 semi-autonomous states, each with varying degrees of control. For example Scottish and English law and tax systems are different, the Education system in Wales differs from that of England. And Northern Ireland differs in a lot of major ways to England Scotland and Wales.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland....what a mouthful.

Didn't Quebec come within 1% of being independent a few years ago?

ILS you have to remember, that countries like UK or France or Spain or the Balkans have a long history of external and internal conflict, with minority religious and ethnic people, struggling for independence, power and recognition.

For example the Basque people of Spain/ France. The Catalans in Spain etc ....and its a credit that the majority of these groups live in harmony.

Something that has always annoyed me, is being called English or the question "Are you from England?"......it's insulting, not because I dislike the English, but I'm not English.....

eh? Sorry mate, you've missed my point a little. They're English.......I'm not.

Anyway I must apologise, my last posting was a bit of a rant anyhow! Canada is a great place and I thought a lot older than 136 yrs.

Isn't it Independence Day tommorow for the U.S??

What do you do to celebrate that!?

Well day after tomorrow here on this side of the date line. Most Americans dress up in 18th century garb and parade down the streets with a feather in our caps. Then we take dolls and mannequins painted like red coats or wrapped in the union jack and give them the old tar and feather treatment. We usually finish off the festivities with games like pin the tail on the limey bloke or duck, duck, sodding pom.

At least that is the typical 4th of July celebration in my hometown.

...gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there...

fireworks and bbq!!

4th of july celebrations are fun...each town does their own little thing...usually a parade of soarts...lots of family bbq, and just good ole' partying...

cool thing about being in japan as I can buy a huge stash of firecrackers at the conbini...buy lots of booze there as well, drink on the streets in public and play with fire! fun fun (except the only other american in my town moved to portugal to move in with a chick he met online... eek.gif )...

Happy 4th!

danz

Well, if it's any comfort to you, I hate being called British in case anybody mistakes me for Irish, Welsh, or Scottish (even though there are clear signs of elements of the former two in the lineage). The 'United Kingdom' thing is just a name...

O11, believe me someone who has their head stuck as far up their own arse as you could ever offer me ANY comfort.

But thanks all the same. I can't be bothered to try and think of something clever...sorry.

Typical provincial response there Mr Matthews. Whines about being mistaken for the majority, then throws a pissy-fit when the compliment is returned.

Shouldn't that logically be 'could never...?' Getting that much right was too much effort.

Yep.....just as I thought.

:rolleyes:

Typical Ocean response there Mr Ocean, gotta come back with a pompous response and correct me gramma.

Bless your 'art, you is one in a million!