Anyone see "the Ring"? It caught my eye because it is a Hollywood horror film based on a famous Japanese horror movie. The fact that Hollywood considered the plot worth copying aroused my interest even though I am not a horror fan.

Well, anyway, I wasn't disappointed. I found it both entertaining and scary.

maybe it depends on which one you see first as the two are in many places word for word the same, so if you've seen one, you pretty much know what is going to happen in the other - although there are a couple of differences. i reckon the actual video in the english version is a little more disturbing than the japanese one - so its marginally more unsettling than the japanese version. still, both freaked me out. anything ghosty gives me the heebie geebies.

a japanese friend of mine read the book. after she had finished it she threw is a way. she was so frightend by it that she couldn't keep the book in the house. evil!

wasn't the ring actually a TV mini-series/drama before it became a movie...

one of my friends sad the series was even scarier than the movie...I only saw the japanese version, and it is twisted...scared me!

danz

...and before the mini-series it was a musical on Broadway. But it had to close after a couple of weeks. Nobody wanted to see it because it was too scary.

Barok, seriously, you honestly didn't find The Ring scary? All those freaky images on the video and that spooky bitch doing her TV trick - that didn't freak you out?

Saw the US version and I was scared stiff. I Couldn't sleep a wink.

Plus my mobile phone kept changing frequency during the night so it kept on making funny noises, I thought I was gonna get 'the call'. I ended up unplugging my TV from the mains, and put my phone on mute in another room. eek.gif

I have an over-active imagination....

I used to have a TV that turned itself on. First time it happened was in the middle of an old Pokka drink commercial that had a funny voice saying "Watashi wo sagashitemasu ka?"

No, I didn't jerk around and spill coffee all over myself when a voice in the corner suddenly said "Are you looking for me?"

I'd like to have that feeling again. Perhaps I should watch The Ring.

Seen the Japanese version (only) and quite enjoyed it.

From what I have been able to gather it is a 3 part series based on 3 books. Ring, Spiral, and Loop.

The first movie was made in 1998 by Hideo Nakata.

The second, Ringu 2 was also made by Nakata and came out in 1999.

In 2001 a different director (Norio Tsuruta) released a prequel called Ringu 0: Baasudei (Birthday).

Please correct me if I am off.

• 3 weeks later...