My friend sent me this. No idea if all these are indeed true, but fun to read nevertheless.

Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.

Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.

The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as substitute for blood plasma.

No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.

You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.

Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.

The king of hearts is the only king without a mustache.

A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's firstflight.

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating 1 olive fromeach salad served in first-class.

Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in morning.

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin!

The first owner of the Marlboro Company died of lung cancer.

Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.

Marilyn Monroe had six toes.

All US Presidents have worn glasses. Some just didn't like beingseen wearing them in public.

Walt Disney was afraid of mice.

Pearls melt in vinegar.

Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

The three most valuable brand names on earth:Marlboro, Coca-Cola,and Budweiser, in that order.

It is possible to lead a cow upstairs...but not downstairs.

A duck's quack doesn't echo and no one knows why.

The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.

Richard Millhouse Nixon was the first US president whose name contains all the letters from the word "criminal." The second was

William Jefferson Clinton.

Turtles can breathe through their butts.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all of the world's nuclear weapons combined.

On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.

On average people fear spiders more than they do death.

Ninety percent of New York City cabbies are recently arrived immigrants.

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

It's physically impossible for you to lick your elbow.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

A snail can sleep for three years.

No word in the English language rhymes with "MONTH."

Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing. SCARY!!!

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

All polar bears are left-handed.

In ancient Egypt, priests plucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

"Go," is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall. Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

Almost everyone who reads this e mail will try to lick their elbow.

The end

Some falsehoods in there.

A snail may be able to sleep for 3 years for all I know, but like an elephant, it can't, or won't jump.

And if I was writing a story about a little boy who shouted expletives at people who tormented him for his lisp, you would have a word in the English language that rhymes with "month".

Always with that paper folding thing. I have folded many a piece of paper in half 8 times, even folded a few pieces of paper in half nine times. Think about taking a 100m long piece of toilet paper, seperate it so that it is one ply, then you go 50m 25m 12.5m 6.25m 3.125m 1.5625m 0.78125m that is 7 folds. are you telling me you couldn't fold a piece of 128-ply toilet paper that was almost a meter long in half ? I think it would be easy, and if not, just get it wet, and she'd fold at least two more times.

and yeah, I would be surprised to see plenty of animals jump - worms, snakes, slugs, flying insects, whales, octopii, several varieties of fish, even hippos and giraffes would surprise me.

The sentence "I." in response to a question would be shorter than "Go." Both sentences have either assumed subjects or predicates, so are of equal validity.

And if you break the bone in your upper arm, or have your arm amputated, far from your mind as it may be, you can indeed lick your elbow.

The other two English words with no rhymes are "oblige, and orange," but I haven't checked those out exhaustively.

cool.gif

barok, worms can actually coil around violently and thus propel themselves off the deck some distance. There are also some snakes that jump from tree to tree (although not many). Some whales breach which is a kind of jumping. Also lots of flying insects can jump, and launch themselves into the air before flight by jumping (houseflies do it backwards - when killing a housefly, you can increase your chances of whacking it by directing your blow from behind.) The cockroach I killed the other day did some jumps before I got him. Giraffes gallop which suggests they can also jump.

As for the paper folding thing, it's a question of the thickness at the fold verses the leverage that can be brought to bear on the fold, rather than the size of the paper overall. Wouldn't those proportional aspects remain the same, however big the piece of paper? (I haven't thought this through....

How, exactly, could one correctly answer 'I' to a question? 'Me' or 'Myself' yes, but 'I'?

I frequently do ... but that would be 'aye'... ;\)

As for orange, depends where you be from.

It made me cringe

to see her scoff the orange

I was strolling down the grange

eatin' an orange

she picked up the orange

and placed it ...

quite enough of that...

the duck quacking can be investigated at http://www.snopes.com/

which is of no astounding interest...but after many a wasted while i found the honda ad which is purported to be the real deal with no computer graphics. twas the first i had heard of it (the link is shockwave - there are other links to QT etc on the page http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/hondacog.asp)

the tyres were weighted to roll up the plank, or something like that..

miteyak - maybe it is "aye" but I don't think so. But the situation to which I am referring would be one where people ask for a count of votes.

"Who in this family votes in favor of moving to Nozawa ?"

"I."

"I."

"I."

"I."

"Well, the I's have it then, pack up yer stuff."

Ocean - Yeah I figgered some snakes and some flying insects, but not all of them. Whales - I think that depends on how you define jump - did you mean beach or breach ? I guess I don't know what breach is. If that was a typo - beaching doesn't fit my definition for jump.

As for paper folding, I think you are generally correct. So. . . 1) when you are talking about a very thin piece of paper (as per my example), the thickness has been diminished. 2) If you are talking about a very long piece of paper (as per my example), you can bring much more leverage down on the paper, because the point of downward force is far away from the pivot point - think long crobar vs. short crowbar. If I have two pieces of paper - one is 100m and the second is 200m, the seventh folds will be 0.78125m and 1.5625m respectively. much more downward force can be exerted on the longer piece of paper, because your lever arm is longer. (I think).

'Breaching' is the word for what whales do when they leap out of the water. When they're beached, whales are notable for their inability to jump.

I suspect with the paper thing that if you could get more leverage, the paper would either break or not compress sufficiently to allow another fold. It does my head in thinking about it as it involves maths to some extent.

That one might be about the time taken. A nuke blast lasts a short time while ten minutes is ages. Think of someone pressing or your nose for 2 days - bloody anoying but harmless - think of them expending the same amount of energy as they spend doing it for 2 days doing it for 2 secconds.

Ever taken a cab in NY?? I sure believe the 90/95% thing. English is definitelty a dissadvantage in a NYC cab \:\(

"pearls melt in vinigar"....and gold or silver tarnishes in many onsens (be carefull!! platinum is OK)