Your most important possession

Photos can be replaced, keep your negatives in a safe place or scan your photos if you have no negative and with digital photography which is the new age its easy to replicate all your photos and keep mulitiple backups. I keep a back up collection else where, so if something happens to me house ie fire then my collection exists safely elsewhere.

Unless its an autographed photo then you are screwed!

its hard to define the most important possession, what is important to live? or what is sentimetal?.

Your passport is a very important possession.

Yes kamoshika I do understand the concept of negatives and being able to reprint photos.

However, photos from 30-40 years back and more cannot be replaced, and some photos that I do not have the negatives for also cannot be replaced.

\:\)

My WWII German bayonet.

It's absolutely useless for any practical purpose (apart from attaching to a rifle and running people through), but I like to get it out about once a year and flourish it around.

Photos are easy enough to forget once you've lost them. All my digital photos of the first 2 years of H11 got lost when my hard disk went low-tech, and I can't say I miss them terribly. Making photos a holy cow just means your memories become that much more selective.

Yes, I can read too jared.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

I love my old family photos and they cannot be replaced by scanning them, it is more than just the image. The frames, the feel, the smell - that cannot be replaced and while scanning them might keep the what they looked like, it will never replace THEM.

As the Japanese textbook says, and as someone else said this morning - we are different (!)

Actually Rach without treading on your toes here, photoshops today have amazing technology, they can fix up old photos, cure fading, take out wrinkles stains creases etc. They can make old photos as good as new.

If photos are that important to you then perhaps getting some copies made and storing them away "just in case" might protect your cherished memories.

Sorry if I seem too practical at times

kamo - my last post on the subject ;\)

The whole point here, which I either don't seem to be communicating well or you don't seem to get well, is that I do not want a copy of my old photos. I don't want them touched up. I don't want copies. I don't want them "as good as new".

I want them as they are, in their frames (which also have value), with all their flaws...that is what makes them them.

Anyway, have a good one wave.gif

I don't know what I would do if I somehow lost all of my data. Years and years of all these files I have been dragging around. I know them like the back of my hand. Of course nothing is really all that important, so I would probably just move on. Incidentally, data is by far the easiest thing to pack, save, and/or move with.

• 2 weeks later...