Soccer team / band shirts

When I see soccer game, I see so many people wearing replica team shirt. And I see many foreigner wearing the rock band t-shirt.

Is it really common for this?

In Japan, soccer shirt is common for Japan team especially, but I almost never see rock band t-shirt.

Football shirts are huge huge business in the UK (and other places I suspect). Teams now have maybe 3 shirts, all of which the kiddies want. Over summer there was some fuss over price fixing for them (they're not cheap).

As with CDs, price fixing and gauging is a huge incentive to piracy.

When I went back to England, I looked everywhere for football shirts for my son. With the addition of a number and name, each shirt would have cost the same as two full sets of the clothes he normally wears (no exaggeration).

So instead of throwing away money, my wife found an auction site that deals in imitation strips and we buy those. The prices reflect normal clothing prices rather than 'intellectual property/brand equity' prices.

IceEiji: Please feel free to wear rock band t-shirts as long as you do not wear the band's t-shirt when you go see the band (ie Wear an Iron Maiden t-shirt when you go to see an Iron Maiden concert). That is a serious no-no and you will be pummeled by the fashion police if you do so.

The "brand loyalty" of the football fans in the UK is a mighty thing indeed. Fans get a really bad deal across the board but keep coming back for more.

In terms of treating their fans like dirt, my team Newcastle are as bad as any.

The problem you have with buying kids imitation shirts is that any kid over five or six in the UK will get stress off their mates for having fake gear. By that age they know what the real ones look like.

I used to sell Thai-made fake shirts in Japan for a mate during the initial J-League boom. We sold thousands of them. It was magic.

Apparently, some tour t-shirts from the 1970s and 1980s are now "worth" (i.e., are bought and sold for) a lot of money.

I would dearly love to be able to buy band T-shirts.

It's really hard to find either a plain T-shirt, or one with something evenly vaguely significant printed on it, so a band T-shirt would represent a statement of sorts.

Cakehead,

I too will admit to having several Iron Maiden t-shirts, along with a metallica one and a fine collection of Iron Maiden posters. This was early /mid eighties though and that stuff was the sh%t...... in northern Tasmania anyway!

Still rock the odd band tee. Have a Chemical Brothers tee with has seen a lot of action.

Goemon, one exception to your rule is if the band released a seminal first album, and subsequent releases were not up to par, or the band was underground then quickly rose to mainstream acceptance. Then you can attend the concert wearing the "I was into them from the beginning and you are all bangwagon-jumping newbies" early days t-shirt with justifiable pride. If you get into that sort of thing anyway.

I'll buy and band tee if the live experience was magic as it brings back very good memories for me.

When I went to see

clap.gif clap.gif Radio Birdman clap.gif clap.gif

at the Coogee Bay Hotel a few years back I bought their T at the concert and ended up wearing it that night at the end of the show.... but that was because I turned up to the concert only wearing a pair of board shorts in the first place.

If anyone has any Birdman mp3's please let me know, I can only find one song on the net. I have every vinal they put out but have no player. Being the best band that blessed the best surfing beaches of the best surfing country in the world, I really miss their music.

Birdman