I was just looking at that other dolphin thread and it got me thinking about the treatment of animals generally.

There was a travelling "zoo" visiting our town in the summer and I really felt angry looking at the conditions the animals were kept in. This tiger pacing up and down obviously frustrated in his ridiculously small cage. I am almost certain that they could not have got away with keeping the animals in such conditions back home.

There's a dog kept outside down our road as well that looks completely miserable all the time, I just don't know why they keep the thing. Poor thing has almost no space and is very seldom taken for a walk.

I'm not saying it's just Japan of course or generalising too much, but here is where many of us are at the moment after all.

Agree. Had a similar experience in a small local zoo in Kyushu. A monkey was screaming non-stop and clearly in great stress. It was obvious that the zoo hadn't a clue what it was doing. Appalling really.

I remember seeing a strange little NZ short film one time about a revolution by sheep in league with human animal liberationists. All the butchers, farmers and others involved in the slaughter of animals were rounded up and put on trucks destined for the works. If I remember correctly the sheep had started to speak but I don't think they'd wored out how to drive trucks etc-hence the need for human helpers.

Made me think about things from a different perspective for a bit. I'm still a dirty old meat eater though. I also grew up on a farm where I took part in the culling of various animals. I'll be one of the first against the wall when the revolution comes I guess.

Needless cruelty to animals is not on, but anyone who's been to a freezing works would be hard pressed to seriously say it's a place of good times and little stress for the animals. Perhaps it's all needless cruelty, but then nature is cruel isn't it-you've all seen lions at work on TV right?

Being a vegetarian is maybe more ethical in some ways, but even then you're still more than likely to be indirectly contributing to the suffering of animals in some other way. A lot of those animals are humans involved in the provision of goods and services you consume. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I lose little sleep over these matters, simply because I genuinely feel there's #### all I can do about it. Am I good, bad or just like most other people in doing so?

My Japanese friend insists that chickens who live their life in a small box where they cannot move are no less "happy" than free-range chickens. And that they have "no rights". Apart from this issue, I really like the guy, but he is super cold on the subject of animals.

Went to Izu recently with a girlfriend (who incidentally is obsessed with cats) and had sashimi dinner there. When the fish was brought to the table it was still alive and moving even though most of its body has been cut out. I protested immediately but she told me (charmingly of course) simply that fish is supposed to be eatedn this way (and that I shouldn't worry about small things)!!