Rugby players and football players

OK. You probably know that I am a big football fan, and not too up on the rugby scene - but I don't have anything against it as such.... just not into it.

At college I had both football team member friends and the rugby team member friends, some of them were friends with each other as well. They were always teasing each other about each others sport - which was the "best", which was the most "exciting", which was the most "manly" (<<< that one always cracked me up). I used to stir it up as well enjoying listening to them squabble and see their bloke-ness come way out into the open. lol.gif

Anyways - I was wondering if I could bring one of those particular topics that I used to stir up, ahem - discuss, with them.

Which set of players is generally the fitter? The rugger players or the soccer players?

(By fitter I mean physical fitness, not sexiness. If that were the case the football players'd win hands down!)

Hoping for a friendly and fun discussion. Anyone?? \:D

Ummm, tricky one.

I don't think there's too much to seperate rugby backs and football players. Hard to compare the forwards to soccer players though. I think rugby is a more physically demanding game.

When it comes to girlie stunts like rolling around on the ground in pain though, football players are the clear victors... lol.gif

Rugby players are different. Fowards are much much bigger than soccer players, taller and heavier as well as running around the field, they tackle, maul, and scrum which all require a lot a physical exertion.

Aside from the odd viscious tackle soccer players dont have the contact or exertion of Rugby players and can play more games a season.

I think many of the backs in rugby (usually smaller than soccer players, except Jonah Lomu who was 118kg 195cm)) could play top level soccer and keep up with anyone around the park.

Soccer players esp fowards and midfielders I think are very fit guys comparable to smaller rugby backs.

Have you seen the ad on TV with Beckham and Jonny Wilkinson the Eng goalkicker? they are shooting soccer goals and Wilkinson nailed a couple of great curling free kicks into the corner of the net, causing Beckham to say "core! he's better than me!"

The current All Blacks have insane fitness programmes to get them in peak aerobic condition.

Fitness is everything in Rugby

I know what you mean rach. At my college the soccer and rugby gangs didn't really mix. Funny how their collective personalities seemed to be so different as well.

The rugger gang were proud of their so-called manliness and seemed to just be much more thuggish and gang-like.

While the soccer gang were by far the more popular with the ladies, and also more posers than the rugby players.

Both were fit, but in different ways. The soccer players often had fantastic legs, as is the case! ;\)

Well at my college anyway.

A different kind of fitness is called for? And acting skills of course lol.gif

I know what you mean, rach. I was always on the footie side of things and the rugby team was looked on as a group of "thugs" by many. (Not me of course). But they did act that way more often than not. The footie players were seen by the rugby gang as girly.

When it comes to whole bod fitness in ball games, you'd be hard pressed to excel beyond the Pro ozzie rules footballer. Take the best requirements of soccer, combined with the same level in rugby and you've got an ozzie footy player. Extreme before extreme. ;\)

I am not a rugby..(or soccor fan for that matter)...BUT

there is no more impressive athletes physique than a rugby player. They are so powerful. how they get slammed, stood on, and throw themselves on the ground is just unreal.

snobee is right. AFL (Australian Football Leauge) players I think are in heaps better shape that the soccer & rugby guys. They tackle hard, run hard, and play hard. Their builds seem to be between the scrawny soccer players and the huge beefy rugby guys..

In Australia the only people who visibly played soccer were Italians and Greeks (plus no doubt a few other less prominant mediteranean countries).

As an Australian I really must mention that the term 'wogball' probably does sound a little offensive. Indo is an Australian lout surfer from Sth Oz, it is to be expected from his breed. :p ;\)