Hey I was out at the restaurant last night with a group of Japanese friends who were telling me how yummy the fish swimming around in the tank looked. "Of course", cows don't look oishii, but apparently fish do. We had an interesting conversation about it all.

I always find it amusing when my Japanese friends say oishii when they look at a fish swimming around. Then they look at me as if I'm mad when I ask them if they find another fish oishii or not. As if I should know which look yummy and which don't look yummy! wakaranai.gif

I would say the the Oishii factor is the image of the fish being served up on the table, fresh and still breathing. Its fresh & yummy but I definately wouldn't say that a swimming fish looked oishii.

I would say that some of you have really strange J friends or they are taking the piss.

lol.gif I am sure you made this up, Ocean. I tend to use the word a lot around the swiming pool in the summer. :p

Quote:
I can't get myself to eat a whole fish, head and eyes and all.
I like the Japanese fish head soup and eat the eyes, cheekbone and the whole lot.

I've visited 'Asa-Ichi'(fish market early morning) near my home town with my friend. She loves fishes and can eat Sashimi in the morning.(I can't believe her!) So she often visits there and gets fresh fishes for breakfast.

But it was 6am and smelled fishy around there, I got sick and fishes were far from oishi-so~.

Years ago when I had sashimi in the 'Samurai' restaurant in Bristol, the varieties of fish were unrecognizable as things Japanese eat raw, and it was sliced so thin you could put your chopsticks through it.

Has it changed in the UK I wonder?

As for looking Yummy in the tank, various research reports have branded such tanks as "incubators of disease". Not all - but dependent upon the level of general hygiene awareness of the shop folks. Without constant cleaning, bacteria levels rise rapidly and also cross infection can occur from fish to fish. Apparently many food poisoning cases have been traced to the "Yummy fresh fish" in the tanks. \:\)