Well if by your name you are a beginner then it won't matter most likely.

But if you open any major mag you won't see any pictures of Australia but there is usually some really sick shots from New Zealand.

It is because I'm a beginner that I need to know if there's fresh snow everyday! cos' if the snow is 2 hard, it hurts alot more when i fall!

i've been to japan twice now and both times...excellent!

unless your a beginner then what ever you do don't make it TC - make it Cardrona, you'll have a better time.

apparantly I'm babbling and not making any sense (again) and my wife agrees so....

Bordbaka says go to TC - I say don't go there if you are a beginner as I think you will have a better time if you go to nearby Cardrona as it is much more suited to beginners IMO.

Boardbaka says (via private message to me for some reason)

"For your guide Cardies blows (literally too!)...TC's where its at!(Even for beginners these days with the widened Triple Treat and loads of green in the Saddle basin even the most uncoordinated muppet on the face of the Earth would enjoy a day there...Weather permitting of course...."

Apparantly my wife was an uncoordinated muppet as she prefered Cardrona when she was learning. (how do you get back from the easy runs in the saddle? - along a 2m wide track with cliffs on one side.) Dont get me wrong I think TC is the best place in the country but I wouldn't reccomend it to a beginner.

This all sounds like I'm taking it too seriously so I'll lighten it up with some smiles \:\) ;\) \:\)

And I tend to agree with the post below this one - if its on hill drinking and accomidation your after then aussie might be a better bet from what I have read.

If you're a beginner and want to have a good snow experience holiday, then go to Oz and somewhere like Falls Creek.

Big(ish) pretty mountain village resort - tons of accomodation options, restaurants, bars, good ski schools, cheap daily helicopter option to neighbouring Hotham resort, heaps of trees (eucalypts), lots of course variety for all but real die hard extremers, great snow making etc. etc.

In fact most of the above is not available in NZ

And this year is shaping up really well with great coverage to date. In August conditions should be generally from V. Good to Excellent at all the main resorts..

.NZ often has great snow and the back-country is fantastic (I've heard), but if you want a fun ON THE SNOW holiday mixing learning with relaxing I wouldn't pass up the OZ resorts.

If you're so into sliding that daily drives up the mountains, barebone facilities and lifts don't fuss you then go to NZ.

Good Luck \:\)

Hey Captain Stag....a good bit of banter here...I must say that most people who know the area (AND IT SEEMS THAT YOU DO) would say Cardies is the way forward for beginners but you must admit that all of this is relevant when offering OPINION only and there is no right or wrong answer either way you have to take into account personal experiences- your own and those of people you know...If you look at the things that make up the overall exp. of a first timer in the snow theres also things like lesson quality (of which a lot depends on your instructor and whether they are hungover or not etc etc etc...and I'm sure you'll agree even the things like amazing views a part of this....So I'm probably a bit bias coming from around there and having been up that deathtrap of a road (they lost a couple more last month) upwards of 300 times!...The thing is nowadays they really are making an effort to cater for beginners...They have to as for a long time they were only just breaking even from a Management perspective...anyway probably getting a bit carried away too....Just yours was the only post I could offer an idea or two on recently...by the way that vid of you? and your Mrs is top notch and there was no way I was lumping her into that category and I can't really see why you thought that I would...anyway let sleeping dogs lie as they say.....Bring on the Nth Hemp winter....bst regds clap.gif ;\)

I certainly cant claim 300 times on the road unless you count a return journey as 2 times then it must be close.

Any idea how or why those aussies managed to go off the road? I wasn't far off being the one to find the Japanese guys that went off the edge a few years back - I like to tell myself that you would have to be driving stupid to end up going off the cliff to make myself feel safe when driving up.

http://www.skijapanguide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003808#000005

in this thread I plugged for Temple Basin, not a commercial place at all, small, remote and awesome, if you are in NZ for more than a couple of weeks - try Temple B. (the only problem is fickle snow- but if the snow is good then it goes off)

Ahah!!! We gotcha now now Torque....your evil plan has been uncovered and it shall be foiled \:\)

seriously if you wanna go to a place that has great boarding conditions and (relatively) cheap then NZ is the place to go, especially if can hook up with some of the locals

This year is presenting itself as one of THE YEARS to ski in OZ.

All major resorts are between 150 -250 cm and it's only the beginning of August, the traditional heavy month.

And if the forecasts over the next 2 weeks are realized, then it should be "wallow time".

If you're thinking of going to Oz, don't think just go.

Check out todays reports

http://ski.com.au/reports/

clap.gif