We've had the doctor thread a while back, but what about dentists? Anyone with much experience here? I've never been, I usually go once a year when I am back home. (When they always moan that I should be going twice a year like a good boy.)

I'm afraid that I'll go in and come out looking like Jaws from the Bond flicks!! lol.gif

Wonder what its like being a dentist... It must be really crap having to look into peoples mouths all day. They must see some horrific sights.

In the states, I think dentistry is known for being the most depressing occupation. I could be totally wrong, but I think I read somewhere it has one of the highest suicide rates out of any profession...

I suppose if every one of my clients was terrified of me and hated coming to my office, i'd be pretty bummed out too.

In any event... one question I've always had is... why do we need dentists anyway??? I guess you could blame sugary foods or modern bad diet, but why is it that no other animal on the planet needs someone poking around in their mouth with a bunch of metal tools twice a year??

when i was home last week my sister told me that our old dentist recently died from brain cancer. kinda scary working with radiation.

there are some good ones in japan. my friend has had lots of serious work done here bc of problems with a childhood injury. multiple root canels and lots of other painful sounding stuff. but the dude he goes to is good and speaks english and its costing him waaaaay less than it would in the uk.

I went recently. Pretty much like back home, apart from the fact that I had to keep on going back 3 times in total over a period of a few day.s Not too sure why it cant have been done in 1 go...

It's simple. Going 3 times where 1 will do is one of the 'rules' of the profession, designed to make the bastards richer. I wanted to have my boy's teeth cleaned by a dentist, and my regular dentist told me it would require 3 visits as per the rules. He said it was 'kimari'. So instead of going with the 'kimari', I resolved to find a dentist who would do it in 1 visit. A bit of phoning around, and I soon found one.

I went to the dentist here once for a cavity.

In NZ a cavity takes one visit to clean, drill, fill and bill. But here in Japan it takes three visits.

So I asked my dentist why on earth it would take three visits to fill my cavity and why I had to have mould of the drilled hole taken. He told me that this type fo practice was similar in NZ previously until cost cutting etc came into effect. Moulds for fillings require a technician, who requires lots of money. THis is apparently why the dentist have pretty much all shifted to amalgum fillings that can be done on the spot. According to my NZ dentist the filling that requires a mould and a techinician is less likely to require any work again in the future from dislodging or breakdown.

I did find it quite ironic that following this little converstaion after receiving my cost cut filling I was charged NZ$150 for my half hour visit.