Ocean - Americans, in general, don't harbor any ill views towards British. In fact, as a general population, American's dislike the French (thanks for the statue and winning that war for us) more. I think the whole anti-French thing is so lame and it does date back to even before they refused to join the "Coalition of the Willing."

As for the size, hey ours is bigger than yours. Of course they are gonna build it big...that's the "American way" right? We have to show we can persevere and rise from the ashes...blah...blah. But the original WTC towers were built completely as a show case for modern architectural engineering. Everyone laughed at the plans to build two towers that tall. But they pulled it off and they stood for many years. It will be interesting to see the new tower for sure. I am glad they are only building the one super skyscraper, though, and not trying to do another dual building.

Hey, it's 2004!! We have to embrace "the future" some time and start building the kind of things you see in science fiction movies. I just hope rocket jetpacks and flying cars aren't far behind.

Did you know the original towers were designed by a Japanese man?

I was chatting with a Japanese designer friend that happened to live in NYC for a number of years. He seemed a little put off by the selecton process for the new design. Apparently there is some controversy over the way the applicants were all overlooked at the last minute for a design by a "friend" of the mayor's. (I should say I haven't researched any of this myself.)

enderzero, It is Minoru Yamazaki.

I read an article about his office in NY on 9.11. The partner is still living in the US and probably still working in his office. I read his interview that he was talking how much he got shocked.

i went to college with minoru yamasaki's grandson. the first time i went to new york city i was with him. i didn't know that his grandfather designed the towers so i thought it was strange when his sister asked if we'd been to the lobby of the the first building. but then we went, and i saw his grandfather's name on the wall.