Japanese towns/cities being ugly

What do you think?

I'm often taken aback at how ugly most towns here seem to be. Looks as if no planning at all went into what went up. Garbage dumps and rusty cars just nearby a spanking new hotel.

But one thing I really love to do is just walk round some of the back streets in a city and take in the sights. Some interesting scenes to be had, the hidden beauty (maybe not the right word!)

The above ground power wires are the ugliest part of Japan to me. They are everywhere!! Zoning laws also seem to be a tricky concept.

Oh, and why are so many of the 'mansions' that ugly brown color? Is that an indigenous brown stuff resource that just happens to be available and cheap?

On a micro level, I agree the back streets and the 'here and there' sections of the cities have a lot to offer though...

There is hardly any land use planning at all in Japan. With the boom in the 80's and the tremendous amount of construction that is still happening now, towns often push out into the ag lands. Many roads and the orientation of buildings are dictated by what is surrounding them causing a haphazard network of roads that make absolutely no sense. I sometimes wonder about the lack of common sense out here. I'm sure most everyone has been driving, gone by something peculiar and said - WTF were they thinking? I know I do almost every day here.

I agree about the above ground powerlines, ugly-ass housing colors, etc.. Who knows? Got to agree that the back alleys can be pretty cool though. I've found some of the best restaraunts in them.

I wonder why houses got to be pukey-green, smelly brown and superug-pink in the first place?? wakaranai.gif

The best izakayas are always found in the most unlikely places.

Quote:
Originally posted by fukdane:
 Quote:
the tremendous amount of construction that is still happening now
Really? Where I am there ain't much. ... in the cities it carries on apace?
Well, there's tons up north at least. A common occurrence here is to have a street repaved and then a month later have it torn up so they can install new sewer lines. Happens all of the time. Lots of building going on too. I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that the Shimoda/Momoishi area is one of the fastest growing in Japan. That's just south of where I live. Anyway, construction here, there and everywhere up here.