If you were to use one as a base (ie. flying into one and staying there beginning and end of a ski holiday), which would be best? (in terms of the city as well as of course the convenience of good snow resorts)

hard choice Tokyo puts you closer but whichever you take an overnight bus and your there. Im a kansai nutter so Osaka for me. Huge city not much smaller than Tokyo. You also get Nara, Kyoto and Kobe for sightseeing if that is your thing.

Depends what you want really. Tokyo is considerably closer to a larger variety of resorts. Osaka is a huge city but I think in some ways it's a bit of a small town when compared with Tokyo.

Kansai's cities in terms of sheer population mass would be about twice the size of London, or more. Kobe, Kyoto and Osaka are all connected by a continuous urban sprawl more or less. They're also very distinctive and worth visiting for different reasons.

Thanks.

It's all in the early planning stages, so just wanting to get an idea.

I suppose the idea at the moment is maybe to arrive, spend a couple of days in the city (sightseeing?), then go the mountains for a week or so, and return to the city for a few days before flying back.

Why do you have to based out of one or the other? If it was my vacation trip Id try to hit it all up and get the resorts in between seeing the cities/temples/museums/etc...

Fly into Tokyo, spend ONE day ONLY, then hit Niigata or Nagano.(Not the biggest Tokyo fan but THE place to party) Ski for however long, then hit Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe/Nara for a few days then go to a different resort. Culturally, Id think you would get more out of Kansai than Tokyo.

If you have a tentative plan post it and somebody will be able to give some advice... hope you have a good trip.

Indo,

Been to Nagoya and found it to be pretty average. Any good recommends? Gonna get up there in late October/early November.