What exactly is the different (in simple layman temrs) between 2D and 3D animation?? I've been listening to some of the Futurama commentaries and they keep on going on about it. The 3D bits look better, but I'm not exactly sure what the actual difference is? Anyone know?

Cheers

PS Futurama commentaries excellent by the way, very funny

3D animation is modeled in (sorry) 3 Dimensions. The software uses an X, Y, and Z coordinate plane to draw the surfaces. Then when the scene is animated, the character (or whatever) moves across a 3D world.

Think about it this way. If you have a 3D world you can move the camera anywhere around the scene to, say, look at the character's back.

In 2D animation you only have an X and Y plane. Like drawing on a flat piece of paper. The camera can only move up and down and left and right.

This make sense for the laymen?

There is one exception to the Simpsons being in 2D. In the episode "Treehouse of Horror VI" there is that 3D section when Homer walks through the "mystery wall" behind the book case. That was a couple (well a bout 5 or 6) seasons ago.

And yeah, Futurama does use some 3D.

some backgrounds in futurama are 3D. its harder to tell the difference in this example, as the 3D is "rendered" to look like a 2D cartoon, so the only way you can pick it is by the way the camera moves. quite a few disney films use this techinque as well. i've seen a trailer for a french animated film where all the characters & backgrounds are 3d, but its all rendered to look like a 2d cartoon. "The Iron Giant" is another example - the robot was 3d, while the other characters were 2d. then of course there is all the 3d in live-action films these days - much of it is imposible to distinguish to the untrained eye.

• 4 weeks later...

Molly Star Racer

or hi-res version here

have you guys seen this trailer before? Its been around for a while. Its made in 3d, french-made, but with a japanese manga-esque style & a j-pop soundtrack (by Ayumi I believe? Im guessing she's some sort of J-pop star?) I'm curious to know what she's singing?

theres more info about it here >>

http://www.savtheworld.com/eng/molly.php3

http://www.sparx.com (then do a search for molly)

Quote:
Originally posted by veronica:
I watched Finding Nemo last night, it was really entertaining. I nearly cried even. (How sad is that?!)
pathetic.

here is a new avatar for you:

th_nemo.jpg