What do you have? what do you reccomend?

I have norton at the moment but it seems a little greedy with the resources and a bit over the top. The people at norton want to charge me money for another year of using their software so I'm looking at my options.

any hints?

This is a good free one (for Windows of course);

http://www.free-av.com/

It protects you while you're surfing the web, and you can scan files you download. Of course, like all anti-virus stuff, it's a few days behind the curve... Still gotta keep an eye on the tech news to make sure you don't get got.

This is a good mail program if you don't normally get mails in Japanese (it garbles Japanese);

http://www.firetrust.com/products/benign/

It strips out all malicious content from email thus protecting you from new evils that anti-virus stuff won't stop. They're going to make a double-byte version at some point.

Dont go for free virusware! they ALL suck, I read an independent review and the only ones that block almost everthing and get new virus definitions out there pronto are the ones you gotta pony up for.

A "good" antivirus software doesnt cut it, you dont go into a firing zone with a good flak jacket you go in there with the "best"

There are many places to cut corners and save money with computers but antivirus ware is not one of those places.

According to one magazine review Norton has the best Antivirus (just) over the others but according to another source ( that came to light later in this thread) Kaspersky is the best!. The free ones dont block them all.

You have been warned, so use free Antiviral software at your own risk!!

Firewalls on the other hand are a different matter. "Zone Alarm" has a free Firewall that is superior to Nortons Firewall which you gotta pay for. I have done some research on the matter.

Some viruses and malicious programs can masquarade as genuine trusted programs and fool your fire wall, your firewall is easily duped. but Zone Alarm is appently different because ZoneAlarm is the only firewall to cryptographically certify the identity of executable programs which means Zone Alarm works better.

I used to have Norton everything but switched to ZA after some tests I did myself showed Nortons Firewall was easily bypassed and fooled. So I now have ZA firewall, with Norton Antivirus.( but I might even change that now!)

Also Jared I have Norton 2001 and the updates havent run out yet because I completely uninstall the program once a year and reinstall and the service updates resets itself back to the full alloted time. Sneaky but it works. Have you tried doing it?

well that is interesting! Norton is in the stay away list, interesting indeed, the review I read in a magazine had Norton at #1. interesting site indeed there Jared. Might have to have thorough look.

Quick explanation of a personal home network firewall:

Data travels in and out from your computer to the interent via your DSL/Cable modem. When data comes or goes it has an address attached to it so that it knows where to go. The address is made up of the IP (to your computer if it is coming in) and a port. The port tells it where to go once it gets to your computer. For example, http or web addresses use port 80 and file transfer protocol (ftp) uses port 21. What a firewall does can best be described as a gatekeeper of the ports. There are thousands of ports, but picture a little guy sitting on top of each port. By default a firewall blocks all incoming traffic, unless it is a response from your outgoing traffic (viewing a webpage). When data goes out from your computer as you view this page it travels through port 80. The little dude opens up the gate and lets the data go out and then closes it again. If you were running a ftp server you would need to tell your little gatekeeper sitting on port 21 that you are expecting traffic there and to go ahead and let it in. Otherwise anyone trying to go to your ftp server would be denied access. In short, the firewall is protecting your personal network from unknown incoming data.

This can also work in reverse. If you want to block people from viewing web pages you can tell your gatekeeper on port 80 to not let any traffic out either. Now that http data can't get out and you can no longer browse the web.

Remember, while firewalls protect you from malicious hacking, whether active or passive, they do not do much to protect you from viruses. The vast majority of viruses are spread via email attachments. If you don't know what it is or especially if you don't know who it is from, DON'T open it! I personally don't use AV software (I also don't ride with a helmet) but if I suspect an attachment of carrying a virus I will usually forward it to a web acct (like yahoo) that offers attachment AV scanning. I have found 2 viruses sent to me that way in the last year. I have been infected by zero others.

I tried the uninstall reinstall thing last year, but it would not reinstall for some reason. When I did get it back on, it knew the old date, so I had to pay up. I wish I had paid up at first given the 3 hours or so of time I wasted and the hassle. (I think it was something like 4000 yen)