How many holidays you get?

How many holidays you get from work a year?

AETs get a good laugh on this one, with like a seriously large amount of time off (well it seems that way anyway). How about the people stuffed up in a big majime nihon company?

At my place they aren't so strict, and they are fairly flexible. Usually let me have 3 weeks off in summer and a couple of weeks elsewhere.

What is normal?

I have to negotiate with my company now that my 3 month trial period is over.

I wonder how many hols I can get out of them? Do foreigners normally get any allowance each year to go home? Or would they at least take this into account when the negotiations are going on?

The AET holidays can be exagerated.

Officially I get 20 days paid holiday a year, but in practice they can be arsey if you try to take a holiday on a teaching day (fair enough though).

There is no school in March and August, so some lucky AETS get to do what they want during these months. However I'd say 80% of AETS have to go into school on those days, even if theres no-one else there. Sometimes you can get permission to 'study Japanese' in Kyoto or something, but its usually a bit of a battle to get the permission.

Recently my school have been right arseholes about me being in on time/every day etc, even though I havent taught a lesson or done any work here since late September. I am living in Catch22.

Starting from April, with my new school, I get about 7 weeks paid summer, just under one month winter, over 2 weeks in the spring, plus about 20 days of nenkyuu, and all other national public holidays !!! And, since Im a huge ski bum, I get to be the ski coach and go on two trips (paid) to Hakuba each year. Ahhh, life is good. Yeah, Im gonna get paid NOT to work, he, he, he clap.gif Sorry, but I also gotta throw in the fact that Ill get almost double what all those Eikaiwa teachers get :p

While my salary isnt comparable to a businessman who probably gets at least 700,000 plus/month, my vacation and salary is worth more than that to me \:D

quote:
Originally posted by Yuki's Passion:

Starting from April, with my new school, I get about 7 weeks paid summer, just under one month winter, over 2 weeks in the spring, plus about 20 days of nenkyuu, and all other national public holidays !!! And, since Im a huge ski bum, I get to be the ski coach and go on two trips (paid) to Hakuba each year. Ahhh, life is good. Yeah, Im gonna get paid NOT to work, he, he, he lol.gif clap.gif

Time to potentially offend and piss a large number of people off. Umm, oh well.... :p

There seems something strange about people employed as AET/JET's etc etc bragging about their number of holiday days per year when:

a) the job is obviously a non-career holiday to begin with

B) teachers, real or AET, always have a massive amount of holidays in most countries (yet still manage to find something to complain about ;\) )

c) too offensive to mention

With respect to point (a): there is nothing wrong with this fact so long as you call a spade a spade. Have fun but just keep in mind that reality ain't your brother on this AET trip.

In the meantime, here is my answer: I have 20 days per year, but then I have a career and am paid accordingly.

(note: this was posted at same time as ender's entry above, not posted in response to what he said)

Yeah, dob's right. When it comes time to retire and really doss about, I wonder how many 'holidays' today's AETs will be taking.

Having done the AET thing myself, I know that having seemingly endless time on your hands with limited amounts of money isn't the gift it may appear to be.

The AET seems to have helped certain motivated friends of mine to their goals, be they riches or personal ambitions. As a stepping stone, a way to earn a decent salary while setting up your company/studying Japanese it seems to be a good way to go.

As for my holidays... two weeks each summer and winter, one week golden week, ten flexible days and all national holidays, and a flexible work schedule. Not bad, would be happy if I could transfer this job to the mountains...

ouch, my date seems a bit raw, from the excessive rogering i appear to be getting.

i get 10 days a year plus national hols. sweet fanny adams.

but i should be packin in soon. i've never used all my holidays doing any job, cos the money is more important. its gotta carry me thru the in between times. it is becoming increasingly apparent that the reason everyone else has more money than me is because they keep on truckin.

Sorry, but my position isnt an AET. Thats why its so good. Im on the same pay scale as a Japanese person my age and get all the benefits. There are some of us who are "teachers" not just here for the vacation like, possibly, a JET/Eikaiwa teacher is.

You just have to be patient and find a good school that offers you what you want. You also have to be a qualified and have high level Japanese skills for what I was looking for.

Wasnt trying to piss anybody off - somebody asked and I am psyched about my new school \:D

YP, I realized from the description that you had found something different from the usual AET deal - nice going. A qualified friend of mine left being an AET for work at an Intl School and found himself in teacher heaven. What teaching qual do you have (if I may ask)?

I agree that 'reality isnt your friend' for AETs, but only for those who actually treat their job/life here like a holiday.

But for those who use the time here to save FXXK loads of money, get 2kyu Japanese, and build up other skills in their free time while at work, I think being an AET is an excellent way to spend 2 or 3 years.

So it is wrong to tarnish all AET's with the same brush.

Doing eikawa at NOVA or something on the other hand is a different story. That does seem to be just a (quite gruelling) holiday.

gee, I didn't realise that AET's etc were paid so handsomely. Obviously my mistake.

Regarding holidays, I agree with the above. This country is great for pubic holidays (which I obviously get on top of my 20 days annual leave).

I run my own school so i get 9 weeks & Sat & Sundays off plus National holidays that fall within M-F.

I get to take them at any time of the year, but the catch is that I must set my schedule for the year in March just before the school year begins.(eg april 2004 - march 2005)

Once I take on a new teacher I can cut back to 3 days a week, and just to be a shit stirrer ... get paid about 4 times what AET's do :p

Who has any suggestions for tactics to negotiate holidays with a company?

I have to do this very soon and was wondering how other people went about it.

Indosnm, 4 times what AETs get paid? That is a handsome salary indeed you are advertising there. Is the teacher you plan on hiring going to be receiving the same sort of renumeration?

Indo's actually a business owner, however, and he's alluded to over 1 mill a month before.

Private language schools are very profitable, especially if the owner is also a teacher. each student pays at least 2,000 yen an hour, average class size 5-6 students, that's 11,000 yen an hour!

Get someone else to teach for 3,000 yen an hour, and you have 8,000 yen an hour for doing practically nothing.

I wish it wasn't so, but I think Indosnm is probably telling the truth ;\)

I don't teach and I dunno about Indo, but if you run your own school and teach large groups of kids, that kind of money is definitely possible. Most of it is going to be cash in hand too.

Setup costs for a school aren't all that high. Part of the skill of renovation is knowing what qualifies as "good enough". You can claim it all back against whatever proportion of your income you decide to declare.

As with all jobs though, it's not just about how much you pull in. You only get one life....

Teach non-stop, 6 hours per day for 5 days per week and get paid GROSS JPY10,000 per hour and you will earn JPY1,200,000 per month.

Lets say no student will pay for more than 2 lessons per week, you need 15 students turning up one after the other. Not many students for sure, but how many country Japanese folk want to pay 20,000yen per week for 2 hours of English lessons? The standard rate for a private teaacher in Tokyo seems to be 5,000yen per hour.

At 5,000yen per hour you need to teach for 12 hours every day, Monday to Friday to make 1.2mn yen. To work 12 hours a day you need 30 students who take two lessons per week.

The 12 hours per day is teaching time, *nonstop* and does not include required book keeping, admin, lesson preparation, replacing students that you lose each month, eating food etc. Lets say those tasks requires 2 hours per day. You are now working 15 hours per day, you get no end of year bonus based on effort or performance and short of charging much more per hour, you have no chance of ever getting a pay rise unless you want to work 20 hours per day. Imagine working your butt of and never earning any more money, year after year. Zero growth prospects. What you need to do is get a feel for the present value of future higher income. Is todays income covering that opportunity cost? No.

Then you need to cover costs and dont forget we have not dealt with any tax deductions as yet.