Quote:
since you don't know if not told that there's glacier underneath the snow
So what is the conditions of that snow on the top then?

Well, I can only speak about summer ski. That was the REALLY hot Eurosummer. I think 2003 or 2004. And we skied in early August. Daytime temperature was above zero. So the snow was quite heavy.

Since the glacier is basically ice we had also little watery lakes and lots of snow mesh.

You can't really compare it to sub-zero winterski at all.

But talking about winter (Passo Stelvio is only open May-Oktober), Hintertux will be no different feel from any other ski region.

In the winter the snow might be a bit drier because of the ice below cooling the snow

They arn't the best runs though because they are usually flat or low angle.

You can't usually ski a steep glacier because of the crevesses

[i agree with everything the other guys have said, but this is yet another chance to compile a long post rather than be a diligent little office employee]

Well, my limited experience...

- Like the other guys said, sometimes the glacier is deep down under the snow and you wouldn't otherwise know it is there besides the fact you are riding in summer at 3000m and there isn't any other snow around. These glaciers often have surface/drag lifts and a half pipe on them. There are several in Europe. The one in Andermatt is covered in a big silver blanket in summer. The one at the top of Laax in Suisse is actually a pretty decent carving slope: long, wide and steepish.

- Other glaciers are not so benign, they are nasty (and beautiful). You can ride along them as a means to an end. Or, you might end up on one at the finish of a BC line you took (this has been my usual experience). If touring, sometimes you have to cross a glacier first to reach an ascent on the other side of a valley. Many glaciers are associated with nasty bits like seracs and crevasses. Seracs fall and kill you. You fall in Crevasses and kill yourself. Glaciers can provide very long low angle powder runs. You can build up so much speed and do so many turns, but it gets a little boring (like Niseko). Negotiating a crevassed area is on the other hand, quite interesting. You have to pick lines along snow bridges and seriously avoid falling: take a guide! I once watched a cesna with skis land on a glacier, coast along for 100m, rev the engine and take off again.

- Glaciers are stunning geographical features that play a big part in our physical environment and why it is as it is today.

- One of the most famous and accessible glaciers to ride is the Valley Blanche in Chamonix. It is worth doing once to see the environment, but twice is torture (it is 95% way too flat, long, crowded and boring. It is also a total drag in a snowboard)

- Australia doesn't have any glacier because NZ stole them all.

- Plucky studied glacial morphology or the like, you should talk to him.

About to ride down onto and cross a glacier (and walk up the other side... just to ride down again. Well worth it) There are at least 3 glaciers in this pic. One is obvious. The others are more perhaps 'glaciated areas' rather than glaciers.

image02ebf59b966d11d917jf.jpg

Tracks on a glacier

image02ec126e966d11d910jv.jpg

A glacier that doesn't look like a glacier. We just walked across it. This is the start of the glacier. Further down hill this guy turned into a gnarly nasty glacier.

imagea6105e4a966e11d913bs.jpg

Ridding through a glacier on snow bridges. Don't fall.

imagea6992438966e11d915mo.jpg

as spud said...they can be boring to ride but some are also super fun to ride and a visualy stunning,

inbounds they are usually a little tamer but in the backcountry, they get a little more interesting.

there is somethin special about riding a nice line and haveing to rip threw snow bridges at the end of a run.

playsafe

www.pieandchips.com/roto2.jpg

I rode at the Whistler BC glacier last summer. Well it was good and bad. Good because you can wear T-shirt or no shirt at all! Bad part is the glacier melts alot! so the snow is very slushy and many wet puddles! so if you land ride over one of those, you are soak!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by advantyper:
I rode at the Whistler BC glacier last summer. Well it was good and bad. Good because you can wear T-shirt or no shirt at all! Bad part is the glacier melts alot!
We rode it in Winter 2004/2005 - lots of powder but a shity circuit to get back to it.

not sure which I was riding last summer. But its the gondola that take you over Whistler mountain. Then you take a lift to go up on top, then near the end of the ride, there are the T-bars. But that day was so freaking hot & sunny.

I guess it might be the Horstman Glacier like Toque say. It was still fun, but I like the powder during New Years at Whistler 100x better.