This is from the Yuzawa Now page:

Quote:
Friday 8th April 2005, 8:21AM

Yesterday did turn out to be another fine day. The rain returned late last night (really heavy for a short time there), but this morning the clouds have moved on and the sun is out again. Temperatures around +6 at 8am and only a slight breeze.

Only a slight Breeze???

Holy s... , the wind was howling like mad today!

I think the people who contribute to the NOW pages for the various resorts do a fantastic job and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them, but I think there a bit more than a slight breeze today ;\)

I was actually surprised that they opened the top lift today! They actually closed it around 2pm because the wind was too strong.

Despite the wind it was a beautiful day. So I decided to try to skin up to the top. Managed to do it but not many people hiking up. I caught up with 3 snowboarders at the top.

Snow condition for those of you going tomorrow.

On slope is best in the morning. It gets really heavy and slushy in the early afternoon, so bend your knees and be careful!

Off piste conditions are very difficult. It rained heavily there all the way to the top last night. Today' temps were colder (-2 C at the top). So there is an ice crust of about 3cm, and below that pure slush. Tough especially for skiers. With the temps warming up, there are a lot of slides and debris (quite a few to the right of the "joshua tree" when looking uphill) and south facing slopes, so be careful!

Still enjoyed the hike up a lot (more than the downhill bit)! Mainly wanted to try out my new set-up.

Oh, and do not forget your sunscreen or you'll be fried in no time!

Montoya,

I had a good time, but tough conditions off-piste. I am curious to know your opinion about the conditions out there when you get back tomorrow.

I went with my skis today. Easier to hike up, but would have been easier on a snowboard for the downhill bit.

I took some pics of some of the slides (small ones).

SerreChe, thanks for the heads-up, when I lose touch with the snowpack conditions I get pretty nervous.

Just curious, what run did you descend, the South face of Nakaone, or a different route?

Yes south face of Nakaone.

I tried to be ultra conservative on the way down given the conditions. So a similar run to the one we did when we boarded together. Actually, even more to the right of the tree (when looking downhill). I'll try to email you a couple pics tonight.

• SnowJapan Admin
 Quote:
but I think there a bit more than a slight breeze today
Yes there was especially high up during the day, but in the morning when the report was written here in Yuzawa that's what the conditions were. If things change considerably during a day or conditions up top are considerably different from those in the town, we do try to make updates on the page (but obviously didn't on that day, sorry!) Please remember that the Yuzawa now page is generally reporting conditions at town level, not up at the top of Kagura.

Thanks for posting the info though. \:\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
Montoya,

I had a good time, but tough conditions off-piste. I am curious to know your opinion about the conditions out there when you get back tomorrow.

I went with my skis today. Easier to hike up, but would have been easier on a snowboard for the downhill bit.

How did the skis work out?
The havocs are pretty wide arn't they?
If it were easy it would be called Snowboarding
lol.gif :p ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:
Montoya,

If it were easy it'd be called Snowboarding

Quote:

[qb] Montoya,

Quote:
lol.gif Well Toque, easy is good sometimes! Who knows, maybe one day you will convert to snowboarding (what would it take?)!

The Havocs were really great. Yep, nice n wide under the foot (88). I would have liked to test them in better conditions, but cannot complain. I am looking forward to test them in more powdery conditions next year. I think they will be good all around skis for me for the next few years. I was really happy with the Naxos as well, I especially liked how easy it is to use a ski pole to change the mode to climbing as well as the angle of the heel lifts.

Montoya, thanks for the info.

Sounds like you had an interesting w/e.

Full on Mush or corn is probably better than icy crust on top with mush below. Wish I had that when I was there! ;\)

I am very curious about that new ridge you did with genki Yamamoto san. I will try to check it out on the topo posted by snowconnection in another thread. I assume the the bosawa area is probably bordering the north face of the nakaone ridge.

Yes, these south faces are starting to look 'brownie'.

How was the wind though? Tokyo was really windy, so what wondering what it was like up there for you guys.

Quote:
Who knows, maybe one day you will convert to snowboarding (what would it take?)!

The Havocs were really great. Yep, nice n wide under the foot (88). I would have liked to test them in better conditions, but cannot complain. I am looking forward to test them in more powdery conditions next year. I think they will be good all around skis for me for the next few years. I was really happy with the Naxos as well, I especially liked how easy it is to use a ski pole to change the mode to climbing as well as the angle of the heel lifts.
Same with my FR's. So easy to change from ski to tour and to get the heel lifters up as well.
Hopefully we can get the Havocs into some nice spring corn for you sometime.
Are you going to come out for GW?

Toque,

I am supposed to be in Singapore for GW.

I just started a new job, so not sure I will be able to take a day off to go to Singapore. If that is the case I may be able to catch up with you guys for GW in the bc.

Even if I cannot make it for GW, I will plan to lock the w/e of the 23rd - 24th of this month to do skinning up somewhere. So maybe we can plan for that as well (so many plans up in the air lol.gif ).

Will let you try the Havocs for a few turns if u interested as well. Sole size is easy to adjust on the Naxos, all we need is a few turns of the screwdriver to adjust the DIN settings to suit you. Should be better than fondling them in the shop \:D . I hope ur boots are compatible though...

Wow Montoya!

very different from where I thought. Quite an unusual route. Yamamoto san really knows the place inside out. What you said though sounds pretty scary. The other day when I hiked up to Kagura-Mine, I looked torwards Naeba san and saw a ridge on the left of it overlooking what I think must be the Bosawa area (if my understanding is correct). There is a huge cornice hanging there threatening to drop down anytime...

So many different runs to discover there (with the right people, the right equipment and in the right conditions of course)!

Montoya, you are starting to become a Kagura old hand as well. You seem to know all the locals there, maybe because you have become one yourself! ;\)

Montoya, there seems to be a road in the back of the first picture. Hard to see but... Do you know what road that is?

Scary, guy is lucky he got reception on his mobile eventually. My mobile's reception sucks, I would have to hike all the way back to Yuzawa to get a signal! lol.gif

By the way, is there some sort of conventional wisdom as to which carrier has the best reception on the slopes / in the mountains? I know that when the Niigata quake hit, one mobile carrier in particular was pretty hopeless. Not sure if they were unlucky and had their relay towers knocked down but I am quite suspicious (same carrier I am using now mad.gif )

I think that's highway 17. Maybe later this month I'll take the Dragondola and see if I can get some photos from there.

Most people say docomo has the best reception at Kagura, but don't know about other areas.

Ok thanks for the info. Heard AU is pretty good. Was on the lift at Kagura the other day, when a guy's phone rang on the slopes. Checked mine, zero reception...

Anyway, quite late. Time to hit the sack!