I B looking to do a working holiday in japan working on a ski field.

Anyone out there got any tips on who I should contact and what are the best jobs.

I am currently working in New Zealand for a multimedia company and I am looking at hitting the japanese slope over the 2003-2004 winter season. Lookin forward for a bit of japanese powder.

Lataz

• 2 weeks later...

AD,

I had the chance to work in Niseko last winter! \:D It was an epic season but I can guarantee that I only had the chance because Im fairly fluent in Japanese. If you have language ability you will have to basically either have a connection, which is best here in Japan, or go banging on every pension/challet in the area that you would like to work. I can say there were about 1-2 dozen gaijin who came to my hotel asking for jobs but theyre already decided by around Sept/Oct time frame. Youll have to take a chance and fly out here to look. But, you probably wont have a Visa to work in this country so that could make it more difficult.

Work visa should be cool. Sorry, just reread your posting.

YP, who did you work for? what sort of work were you doing? how did you get your job? how many gaijin actually work in niseko? specific examples from personal experiences are probably what our mate AD is after.

I know/knew a guy (ski instructor) who faxed a bunch of ski resorts in japan from new zealand and got a job. next to no japanese and they sponcered his work visa. This was before he had his ski instructor ticket he just had some experiene doing it.

I know a number of well qualified ski instructors that work in japan each year and I have doubts about their level of japanese.

he motivated me to look around on the internet and found a company in niseko mailed them and they said "come on over". I got here and found my way to niseko and called the guy up - next day im getting dog sled training so I could do that and ski instruct. after he picked me up he said "hows your japanese", "basic" i replied as I had been studying all my greetings and polite stuff to say etc.. can you say "its raining today?" and the answer was no I couldent.

Having a few good japanese friends whom I lived and worked with to look out/after me deff helped. and I may have been one of the few ppl making as much as they spend. others that I knew were

working for a forgen owned pencion for free accomidation and lift pass.

freelance type ski instructing ie get a cell phone and let all the companies know your looking for lessons.

a full time cook.

back country guides (not well experienced in either the mountains or japanese language but not getting much work either)

dont listen too much to all the naysayers and give it a go.

I got a job through some contacts in the Japanese department at Vic university where I was studying. It really is about who you know so make as many Japanese friends you can, talk to people, see where they hang and if youre on the mtns then the Japanese people there are probably the ones with the contacts.

I worked at a resort in Gunma, admitidly more to improve my japanese, but there were some kiwis at the resort next to where I was and they had come over on a working holiday visa, went to one of the offices that are in Japan for working hol visa holders and got hooked up that way. Admitidly they werent at a great resort but there was more than enough to keep em busy. Mind you this was in 1998 and Im sure the situation is different now.

Oh numatta and the old trips to saty. I still have friends in Kawaba gun. Those country folk can sure drink. I never made it to OZe. Could be that 1996 was the best year for snow in 18 years. Skied the trees and BC around Kawaba steep but short. Had my first neck deep run there.

My wife really liked Oze. She took some firends of mine there. The powder can be really light in gunma. I think the resorts are a little higher up than some other ones.

Thats cool that you got a job Jared. There are many people who came over to Niseko and worked at places like NOASC or NAC or a few pensions who didnt speak any Japanese (besides greetings). I just said that those are hard to come by and for the most part theyre filled by Fall. The places that are still looking in December I guess it would help to get there as early as possible? Ill have to finish this later.

..for tomorrow we die?? thats a bit grim, isnt the original ..for tomorriw we MAY die?

a little bit of luck involved in getting a job in niseko but with the hundreds of resorts in japan there has to be someware you could work at - get a good letter in english and japanese and fax it everywhere.

[QB] ..for tomorrow we die?? thats a bit grim, isnt the original ..for tomorriw we MAY die?

Its a quote from a DMB song. Grim you say? On the contrary I think its positive - live each day like its your last. Have a good time, enjoy yourself, and live life with no regrets. Peace.

wave.gif