I've taken the last 3 days off (the weather has helped me along!) and I'm glad to say my leg is feeling almost back to normal. Seems that perhaps I was overdoing it, so I might cut back to 4 or 5 times a week now. If the weather cooperatates, I'm looking forward to getting back out there tonight!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered skipping (what is sometimes called 'jumping rope' in circles where 'skipping' is considered fay)?

Since my knees have also started hurting recently, I'm going to start skipping using a jumping board. This is basically a big rectangle of plywood with blocks screwed to the short ends. It has quite a lot of give so the impact is reduced.

I'm hoping that 2 nights skipping, 3 nights running might be a better balance...

Orange,

Have you been to the Big Wave or Green Arena? There are also many local pools around the city in most districts. I usually go to Minami Ku as its about 400yen vs 630 at Green Arena. You could always go to a local elementary school and swim at night - that would be free \:D

• 1 month later...

Just started running again myself - been army volentered for the local half marathon (but im only doing the 10000m)

good motivation to get exercising - been getting a bit flabby since ski season finished.

Watch those knees! For those who aren't very fit, this usually isn't a problem cos fatigue sets in way before any knee problems arise. But my experience is that if you are fairly fit and lead quite a healthy and active life, once you take on jogging you may find you are able to run much more than the wear and tear the cartilage in your knees are ready for. Choosing good running shoes and a course with a good surface is also helpful in preventing injuries.

Nice trip back home, yes thank you. People noticed the weight loss yes. I probably put on a few kg, but hope to get back to that jogging in the next few days. Got some nice new shoes too, looking forward to trying them out.

Thats one of the problems of a long holiday back home - eat and drink too much, put on the weight and it takes a while to get back down when you get back! \:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Jogging started to hurt after I fractured a toe. So I bought a Water Rower rowing machine.

Now my pectorals are like two smooth rocks and my bum has an exciting new tautness about it.

It has to be said though, running shoes cost a lot less than a rowing machine.