I have been asked to do a group english lesson for the accounting department at my company although it has nothing to do with my position. They want to pay me (good thing!) and they asked me how much ... what is a reasonable rate anyone?

Probably will involve a little bit of preparation as they want to learn how to conduct basic daily tasks in the office in English. There will be about 4 or 5 people in the group I think ... I might try for something more like 1man yen! What do the English teachers out there think?

Recently I did a 3 month resort complex lesson for 5-6 staff.

I negotiated the 2hrs for 15,000 plus ferry travel (20 mins - 2,000 - one way)

The company didn't seem to balk at that at all.

Good Luck.

A lots going to depend on how much cash these people have in their budget and where you are. Where I am, you'd be very lucky to get that much. 5000 yen is the going decent rate here.

In Osaka some 10 years ago one of my mates was engaged to teach a group of my wife's mates. It was to be a group of 3 women, all of them graphic designers. He pushed his luck and quoted them 12,000 yen an hour. They agreed immediately. Come the end of the month, they were quite shocked to discover that the agreement was 12,000 yen for the 3 of them and not 12,000 yen each. They felt very sorry for my mate because he had chosen such an unremunerative calling. They would never think of selling themselves so short.

10,000 yen is entirely reasonable, perhaps even more if the company is paying for or subsidising the class. Corporate providers would charge more per hour and they're largely acting as an interface between the students and the teacher. They don't do much apart from providing materials and some limited support for the teacher, one of my friends calls them the "parisites".

What Ocean 11 describes is pretty hard to come by these days. The parisites tend to pay 4-5,000ish per hour, although these rates are continually under pressure. Teaching is a job where wages go down rather than up.

There are more teachers here now, thats why prices going down.

Woy Woy 1 man (1hr) would be min I would accept especially if you have to do abit of prep.

like someone already said the company would have to pay at least 1-1.5 man goign thru a company that supplies teachers. So you are giving them a good deal.

But then again, you are not a qualified english teacher now R U? :p