Me and the wife want to go surfing. We're both total beginners and don't have any gear, so we want to go somewhere we can have lessons first.

We'll going to go early next month before it gets too expensive. We've not bought tickets yet, but we thinking Hawaii because its winter in Oz. I am thinking maybe a week to ten days.

If anyone has any suggestions as to good places to go or places to avoid, fire away!

I saw my first surfing video, Step Into Liquid, the other day and it was epic. Along with some big wave action, it's got loads of ordinary people in it, some of them surfing a lake. There's far less posing and obtrusive loud music than you get in snow films.

East coast OZ (But south of goldy) heaps of surf schools. water not cold at all. Maybe all you would need is a spring suit.

Bali, Kuta beach. its cleaner this time of year and again heaps of surf schools. The cheaper option by far, but a wicked time too. I will be there for 3 weeks July/August. Friends have surf shops with school and U can be hooked up easily

if you need any more fo' just email me.

Waikiki, Hawaii: I have not been but from the media I get the impression that it is quite revolting for a peace and freedom loving holiday maker. However it does allow you to rock up and rent boards and surf all day in long breaking easy rolling super crowded warm water waves. I have seen heaps of surf schools in OZ and even helped out in Bondi for a while and had one conclusion: unenjoyable waste of time for participants. More often than not the surf was unrideable crap and most participants would have got a far better experience had they just gone body surfing. I do not know if this is the right season for Waikiki. In fact I would ask the Hawaiian guys on this forum as I don't know much about it.

I also think that you will find the water south of the goldy at this time of year to be colder than you expected. Sure, it is not freezing but for non-surfers you will find it chilly. To a surfer it is fine, particularly if you are used to surfing 15 degree water. for a holiday maker it is not the style of 'jump in and out if the water' comfort warmth that you might hope for. I love Australia and it has the best beaches in the world, so I am obliged to plug it. Consider going to Byron Bay. It has plenty of gently long breaking waves that are perfect for learning on. Plenty of surf schools and crystal clear water full of dolphins. It is also the most attractive coastal surfing town in the known universe. In Winter it is cheaper and there are less jerk-off rich holiday makers and more people that love nature and getting stoned.

Kuta also sounds like a good option and I reckon Indosnm is your man for info on that.

I was in Waikiki this time last year for a conference and yes it did have some easy to ride waves and heaps of places to rent longboards. The weather is great this time of year and the water is nice and warm. It is a huge break and lots of people are learning so it is not intimidating and there is a good vibe. However it is crowded and waikiki can get on your tits after a while. I'd go with Indo's option at kuta or dob's option at Byron Bay (esp. if you like to get your smoke on). You will have a great time at either of those places.

Good Luck and stick with it. You will love it. Best....feeling...ever. ;\)

NoFakie, i have a really good choice for you!

Go to the hawaiian islands, but stay away from Oahu. it's L.A in the water.

I Went to Maui for 6 months in 1999. tired og the fast life as IT dude in Denmark, tired of long hours and drugs...

Maui is a much more quiet place than Oahu, and all along the South facing shore there are many nice longboard breaks which offer waves all thru the summer. surfschools operate there too.

I recommend Launipoko, Thousand peaks.

I met my wife at Launipoko, we got married there, in the water! that place is very special to us, i would like to share it with you (although i don't know you:))

Waikiki is also going in the summertime (facing south) and there are some nice waves there, but the crowd is generally too much!

Maui is a REALLY beautiful island, on Haleakala (3000m volcano) there is great hiking and mountainbiking.

It is fair to say that my wife, longboarding and Maui changed my life. just go there!

here are a few pictures from our 2. trip in 2002.

3 months in paradise

ATB Thunderpants

Thanks for the photos TP. Last time I was in Hawaii time was very limited but we spent most of our time on the North Shore, which was very quiet and chilled in the off-season. I really fell in love with the place and would dearly love to check out some of the other islands, espeically Kawai. Sounds like a great time you had there.

Kawai sounds great, i would love to go there!

After Maui, i never looked back on my old life.

But Maui is highly addicting, be careful!

My friend went there for 6 months too. he is still over there, living as illegal alien-surf bum. and has done so for 3 years. he left an expensive apartment in central Copenhagen, girlfriend and a very well paying job.

North Shore Oahu is a nice place for sure, but the waves are scary in the winter and not very surfable in the summer. i am sure Oahu has a lot of summer surfbreaks other than Waikiki, Diamond Head is not that crowded and right next to the Zoo there are a few too.

The nightlife is a nicer in Honolulu than anywhere on Maui, but after a day in the water and sun, all i want is nice dinner and bed..

..And who want to be in a concrete jungle around 1000's of japanese tourists with " Sugoi hats " .. ever watch japanese travel TV programs? female journalist walks around with this hat and says "sugoi" all the time!

ATB

Thundersurfshorts

A great response fellows! Thanking ye kindly!

We're not bothered about nightlife or anything, so there's no need to be near a strip. We'd rather be somewhere with natural beauty that's not built up. Yeah! rock rock rockaway beach!

I don't mind having to wear a suit because it'll stop me from getting sunburnt on the first morning, but I think cold water would put a dampener on my missus's enthusiasm.

I hadn't really thought about Bali. I've been once, but only for a few days to Ubud and Sanur. I managed to see a local funeral that was like a big procession, and dived that wreck at Tulumben, but that was about it. If we decide to buy some gear, is it more expensive there?

Anyway, lots to think about so far. It sounds like more than one trip may be required.... \:D

The Hawaiian islands have a summer South side swell. Meaning, Waikiki and Ala Moana, etc, will be at their best during the summer months. I was there a month ago and it was crankin' 6-8 footers. I also heard they were expecting a good South side summer...which is good for tourist and beginner surfers. It can get crowded. But if you take a lesson one day, you can rent a board for cheap the next and head out of Waikiki to less crowded places. Be warned though, the farther you get from Waikiki the more likely you are to encounter hostile locals that don't really appreciate new people learning how to surf on 'their' waves. And it gets worse on the outer islands. And generally speaking, Winter is just too big for out-of-towners to try learn on. A good thing is that you will NEVER NEVER NEVER need a wetsuit. I don't know how those surfers can handle surfing in freezing temps. In Hawaii, you don't have that problem..ever! But, be warned, there are youth hostels in Waikiki that are affordable...otherwise everything is pretty expensive. If you choose Hawaii, you can do what I used to do when I went to Oahu and just rent a car and live in it and cook your grinds at the beach ( I'm not from Oahu).

But I think Bali or even Tahiti are great places to learn. Tahiti always seems to be glassy and consistant. It's not that cheap though and a pain in the A$$ to get to.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavor. I don't mean to sound like Keanu Reeve's or anything but taking up surfing may just change your lives. get the most out of your first experience. wave.gif