Hide 'n Seek the (stupid) Japanese way

I've always been struck by the stupid way Japanese people play hide 'n seek.

In England, you say "onetwothreefourfivesixseveneight coming ready or not" while the other people sneak off as quietly as possible to hide. If they're fast and sneaky enough, they can be quite hard to find.

In Japan, you shout "mou ii kai?", while the other people stomp about shouting "mada daiyo!" letting you know exactly where they're going, and when they have found a 'hiding place', they let you know where it is by shouting "mou ii yo!"

What's the point? Was this game played in the same way before Pearl Harbor I wonder? Or did the Occupation forces make a rule that it had to played this way? Does anybody know?

My boy is playing it outside now, and I really want to go and say "Don't be so f*cking stupid!"

That's incredible! Nevertheless, thanks for the story cos it just brought back my childhood memory of one particular "hide and seek" game I played which still makes me laugh till my stomache aches a bit.

I was about eight or nine at the time and a neighbour of about the same age had come over to my house to play with me and my elder sister. It was late afternoon and we were playing hide and seek. Dusk was approaching and the rooms were beginning to get dark and the lights were not yet turned on. It was my turn to do "seek" and my friend, Jeffery, decided to hide in my room. However, unknown to him, my grandmother, who normally doesn't stay with us, was visiting and happened to be napping in my bed. So as I am going through the routine of "one, two, three..." I hear a high pitched scream and Jeffery comes running out terrified out of his wits screaming "Ghost, Ghost!" This had me and my sister a bit scared initially till we realized that Granny, with her long white hair, had just woken up from her nap and sat up in the bed. That must have been such a sight for poor old Jeffery. My sister and I still remember the incident vividly with great amusement.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

My boy is playing it outside now, and I really want to go and say "Don't be so f*cking stupid!"
lol.gif

It is moments like this that make me want to have a boy of my own.

Great story Markie, with a surprise ending! (I thought your elder sister ended up pregnant.)

The history of the Pacific War would have been completely different if Pearl Harbor had been broadcasting "Mou ii kai?" at regular intervals...

db, I'm taking my boy to England in the summer to meet my parents for the first time (OK, long story), and guess which word he uses with most fluency.

What word does he use the most? Im guessing:

Japanese:

kusojiji

aho!

otousan, hayosei~ya!

gohan ha madano?

English:

stupid bint

ya wa**er

bollocks

stupid yank

:p

The English my students use sometimes is shocking eek.gif

never knew that SJ censors words on this forum

I grew up in the mountains which might explain a few things about me but we would have the best games of hide'n'seek. Usually played in the dark but had to set boundries because if you didn't know the area you could get really messed up.

Anybody ever play Kick the Can? That was always a fun one. Boot that can as far as you could shouting ''Save the Bunch'' as loud as you could and then the seeker would have to find everybody again. Good times. Good times.