All I can say is......it's rubbish. I'm back here now, and my family have "broadband". Feels more like dialup to me. \:\(

It is sheer crap, no doubt about it. even 2M would cost a bomb per month. Really 3rd world... probably the same in Australia and some Euro countries.

Hello Rach wave.gif , welcome to myUK \:\)

Being used to broadband in Japan, being here and using the web is almost painful \:\(

I've seen a few cafes around, surely they have the uk version of narrow broadband, I might give them a try actually.

My 1MB service is being connected next week. It takes 10 days to get connected!!

1M vs. Japan's standard 8M-12M. 1M is not even standard, it requires paying up for retail ADSL "speed". Standard ADSL costs about £20 per month (4000 yen!!) for a huge 0.5M, thats 24 times slower than the same priced service in Japan. My 1M will cost the equivalent of 6000 yen per month. It is a disgrace. The infrastructural difference between London the UK and Australia is almost zero. No offence to the UK intended, I am happy here.... but it really does resemble a crumbled empire at times (that brash statement is based on ADSL speed, not much more ;\) )

:rolleyes: Nice comment there ;\)

I wasn't really aware of how bad we had it internet connection wise until I came on here and heard about what you guys have. I just want to know one thing ------ WHY.

No rudeness was intended, I am just a little suprised here and there.

My ADSL service started today. I pulled my free ADSL modem out of the box only to find that it is a USB style modem. Never dealt with one of them before and I know why: it doesn't support routered LANS. Oh poor me. I tried buying one that did at the local large computer shop: not a chance. I now am officially giving up on sharing my ADSL conenction between computers and am selling my expensive wireless router and wifi networking card that I bought for the job. Once again, poor me.

Isn't it just because BT have a dirty great monopoly on the final mile? BT are completely crap (far worse than NTT) and OfTel or whoever it is in the government that's supposed to monitor them is powerless/lazy/probably staffed with ex-BT people.

slow

British people get extremely frustrated by but ultimately put up with poor services. It's more to do with not wanting to cause trouble and possibly not knowing what good service is than with some romantic que sera sera/mai pen lai notion of inner peace and taking it as it comes. To see slow life in action, you should go to southern Europe.

Dear

It's a bodge, but you may be able to share your internet connection on a LAN by running software on the machine connected to the USB modem. You can do it with Windows for sure. Unlike a router, it means your main machine has to stay on.

Slow life is definitely better seen in other areas of Europe, slow, for sure.

My folks have a 1MB connection here now thank the lord, and its not too bad..... cant tell that much difference from my connection in Japan actually even though the numbers make it sound much different. Im sure I'd notice it more though if I were downloading big files here - which I'm not. I'm choosing to enjoy the torrential rain and storms of the day. \:D

It is funny the way they advertise the super duper super highspeed fastest in the world 1MB deal - for just 6000 yen a month!!! ACE! What a deal!

wakaranai.gif

Some of the people I told about my access in Japan thought I was fibbing, they couldn't believe it - and were very jealous. So they should be, its awful.

he he, you used "Ace" and "Fibbing" in one post.

Cool.

I do agree though. I extend the same mania to the ridiculous sms/text culture. I am not a fan of the mobile phone but jesus, give me Japanese hardware, software and networks ANYDAY over the common western world set up.

One thing I have noticed is that everything is a scam here. There are no end of obviously sly ways to suck people into a crappy phone deal or a crappy ADSL deal. We even get spam fax's at our office!! Spam via fax?! I laughed when I saw that. I constantly feel that everyone is out to swindle and shaft the next guy.

Funny. I have no complaints about the connections here in the US - comparable with what I have in Japan and been round longer too.

Why is the UK such a ripoff then, you often hear about it. Whats the deal with that?

• 1 month later...

economies of scale/return on capital... and of course, getting money out of the Japanese for set-up/service of even something crap but new is quite easy. The japanese are also quick to upgrade at additional cost, so a quick return for new technologies is nearly always guaranteed.

back to econ of scale/return - laying 100 meters of cable in Japan could conceivably service 100 paying customers, whereas in London it may only be one. The huge customer base supported by relatively low capital investment allows a cheap, fast service constantly upgradable.

the same theory explains the great transport network here.

(not that this forgives all of the UK's ills...)

Anyway, that'll soon be a thing of the past, if you vote for Blair, that is, who promises broadband to every home in the UK... if you vote for him \:D