Idiot me! (or, "I forgot it was a holiday today!")

There's plenty of work at my company today Scoobs!

Anyone else have the pleasure of working at a company where national holidays mean nothing?

When I think back, I've never had a job where national holidays meant anything.

IN UNIVERSITY DAYS

Bartender and sperm bank donor. The former was busiest on holidays, the latter knew no rest.

POST-UNI JOB

Cashier at a record shop. We sold most records on weekends and holidays. I was always working on July 4 or Xmas day or what have you. Terrible.

FIRST LAWYER JOB AND EVERY OTHER SINCE THEN

Holidays? Forget it. In fact, forget about dinnertime and skip lunches too. I need two hands to count the number of Xmas days I've worked, and the number of last-minute-cancelled ski trips, camping trips, weekends with good friends and family gatherings. I'd need many more hands to count the number of dates and small promises I had to break due to work requirements.

Yes, I've always made the mistake of getting a job where "the buck stops here". Another way to put this is, I am the trap at the bottom of the porta-potty, and the s*** all lands here.

This is a real issue for me now as I try to find stable employment for the next long while to support my new baby and give her a solid home life. When I start looking around, it seems all there is are soul-killing high-pressure jobs like "challenging position available for stellar attorney", "yes we work hard and are dedicated to serviing our clients no matter what" and "self-starter needed to handle complex and detail-driven legal and financial compliance issues companywide"...

How awful. I get sick just thinking about it. It's not that I have no ambition, it's just that I used up the supply of dumb ambition to blindly serve Corporate or Client interests merely to hold a job and get the chance to wake up the next day and do it all over again, again and again until I retire or drop out.

--badmigraine, at work on yet another national holiday.

\:\(

It's always funny when you forget things like this. It must have fealt good though to get ready for work and then find out you don't have to go even if you fealt silly.

Badmigraine - **** ambition. You have to get your priorities straight. Being a company man sucks. You shouldn't have to give up life for your job.

Yeah, the word "ambition" has a bad rap.

It sounds like it only means what a jr. mgmt. trainee in his first cheap suit feels when he drinks his morning coffee and thinks "I'm going to kick a** at the next meeting and really impress the boss and get that promotion!!"

I've got ambition, but not in that direction.

I've also got a wife and unborn baby in the hospital and I haven't the option to Chill Out and find myself. I won't be able to do that anymore until I become independently wealthy, or run out on my family and be a deadbeat dad.

I'd love a job that matches my lifestyle and leaves me time for my family and personal development, but wouldn't we all. I'll let you know when I find one. Until then, as unhappy as it is, I am keeping my high-paying "day job" and reserving the right to whine about it!

\:D